PDA

View Full Version : Mono Line

TNtransplant08
04-27-2011, 04:16 PM
I was looking at the BPS website for Mono line that I want to spool one of my reels with for topwater and I noticed that they have "copolymer" line as well in the same category. What is the difference between regular mono and copolymer? Do they have the same qualities, such as floating which makes it suitable for topwater lures, especially the zara spook?

Also, I was wondering if any of you would mind sharing what mono line you've had good success with?

Much appreciated.

Buccaneer
04-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Suffix Elite or Siege is great mono line, very little memory and strong. If you can find it, McCoys Mean Green is fantastic. Copolymer line is a blend of different mono formulations and sometimes it is coated in florocarbon. A great copolymer/blend is Yozuri Hybrid, you can get it at Bass Pro. I have it spooled on two of my topwater/jerkbait rigs and love it.

tjustin
05-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Suffix Elite or Siege is great mono line, very little memory and strong. If you can find it, McCoys Mean Green is fantastic. Copolymer line is a blend of different mono formulations and sometimes it is coated in florocarbon. A great copolymer/blend is Yozuri Hybrid, you can get it at Bass Pro. I have it spooled on two of my topwater/jerkbait rigs and love it.

I second that , Suffix seige is the only mono i fish.

MattC
05-01-2011, 09:13 PM
I like BPS Excel. Cheap and great quality.

tkwalker
05-02-2011, 01:54 AM
I have used numerious brands of line in the last 50 years .... Back in the tourney days... 70's/80's for bass it was Stren .... When I guided for trophy Stripers ... I used Big Game Berkley .... Now for leaders ...or any thing else I fish for ... 4 pound to 30 pound .... Is only "P" Line ..... <'TK>< ;)

skillet
05-02-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm with Matt. I've used bass pro excel for 10-15 yrs and you can't beat it. My fishing partner was using suffix and it broke easily and seemed to me that he was having to change the spool out every 3-4 trips. I have a rod that has the same line on it from 2yrs ago and it does great still. Its a tick fatter than most but its durability is phenomenal. I feel that it has great sensitivity also. But to each his own. I like to fish heavy timber and rocks and very rarely do I break off and when I do its usually because of my knot. Oh and the price, its right up my tight wad alley!!!

90titans89
05-03-2011, 09:21 AM
I'm with Matt. I've used bass pro excel for 10-15 yrs and you can't beat it. My fishing partner was using suffix and it broke easily and seemed to me that he was having to change the spool out every 3-4 trips. I have a rod that has the same line on it from 2yrs ago and it does great still. Its a tick fatter than most but its durability is phenomenal. I feel that it has great sensitivity also. But to each his own. I like to fish heavy timber and rocks and very rarely do I break off and when I do its usually because of my knot. Oh and the price, its right up my tight wad alley!!!

+1 :D

Travis C.
05-03-2011, 09:31 AM
I switch a lot but in recent years had great luck out of the Cajun Line in larger sizes 12-17lbs. I was very impressed but does not help me with my night fishing as it won't glow under black lights. On the flip side of the coin bought the smaller dia lines for spinning reels after seeing the larger. I would not hang christmas lights with their small dia lines.

I most recently use standard ole stren and have been really pleased all around. It has been a while since I used that particular line and seems a lot better than years ago was.

The BPro line is on my list next both mono and the fluoro.

robhal11
06-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Went to the Caney this past weekend ended up cutting out about 95% of my line on 2 diff spinning reels. I had just restrung both on Friday night with triline 4lb mono. I have tried pline,sos,bps. Seems like every time the trout start biting I get a huge snarl and have to cut out and retie(while my partner is wearing them out). What do you guys use on these lite small spinning reels to keep this twist at a minimum. I know I can let line out the back of boat when running but dont do alot of motor running on the Caney. I have Pline, BPS, Stren on my baitcasters and they all do great. Thanks.

Travis C.
06-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Do you close the bail with your hand or reel?

Spinning reels are bad about twisting line before the bail pickup gests tension on it after you crank it closed. If there is a good deal of slack in the line when you start reeling every time.

Try closing the bail with your hand and raising the rod to clear up the slack between the reel and first eye from it then reeling. That should help further line twist but not remedy whats there now. Sometimes, it is just part of what you deal with using spinning reels.

robhal11
06-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Yes I always close it before reeling. I just did't know if any of these lines twisted less. Thanks Travis.

Travis C.
06-06-2011, 08:06 PM
I have tried bunches of lines and the ones that seem to twist less are braids. Personally not a fan of braided line and for the Caney inparticular not ideal due to it's clarity. I usually have 4lb Berkley Vanish if I spin fish there and it gives me problems too.

I believe it is just the design of how line goes on a spinning reel and comes off that causes it.

lilmule
06-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Line twist can also be a problem if using say inline spinners,attach a swivel then leader.
I use either 10 pd power pro (3lb diameter) or a copolymer for bass it seems to have less memory.

Imgoodatwhatido
06-06-2011, 11:16 PM
try the yo zuri hybrid ULTRA SOFT, its made especially for spinning reels and i love it. priced reasonably well too. its super soft and very limp

robhal11
06-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Thanks guys I am going to head to BPS today and try to pick up some new line.