PDA

View Full Version : Canoe fishing?

MattC
04-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Just got a 14 foot Old town sport canoe and am wondering if it would be safe to take it fishing on some of the larger lakes such as Old Hickory, Percy Priest. or would i be better off on the smaller ones. Its a 3 seater and about 40 inches wide in the middle.

eaglestrike09
04-24-2011, 07:56 AM
I have had my 14ft Rouge River canoe in Old hickery and Percy Preist, but I
stay in the coves that protect me from the wind or big waves. Creek arms
are where canoes are best, you can go in places the the bigger boats
cant. The east and west forks of the Stones river and Stewart's creek
in Smyrna are some of my best canoe spots!

Ken C
04-24-2011, 08:28 AM
The canoe would be fine on protected areas of reservoirs. If you really want to have some fun, get a flyrod, and fish the smaller waters and agency lakes for bass and bluegill with popping bugs. You might be pleasantly surprised at the numbers and size of the fish you can get into.

clean air
04-24-2011, 03:08 PM
With all the watercraft and sking I would be very careful about being on big water.The waves from a ski boat will sink a canoe.On priest its bad.I have had ski boats run close to me and waves roll over the side of a 18ft bass boat.People will run all over you and not think anything about it.

Fishaholic
04-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Drakes Creek is awesome for canoes you can launch at the first ramp across from the new construction on Sanders Ferry Rd and work that whole creek. Not many boats fish that far up the creek so its safe and I've caught or have seen caught everything from 5 inch bream to 10lb catfish

Jim
04-25-2011, 09:12 PM
Bledsoe creek on Old Hickory is good also. Use the Old Union boat ramp off Hwy 25 and go upstream. It is small and protected and sometimes the fishing is really good. Same for the back ends of Bartons and Station camp creeks on Old Hickory.

Springtime fishing in most of these creeks is really good for bass, catfish, and panfish.

Good luck, Jim