PDA

View Full Version : Bowfishing

stickngar21
04-16-2011, 02:02 AM
Does anyone know some good bowfishing places in the middle tennessee area?

countryboycansurvive
04-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Go to the Cairo boat ramp on Old Hickory just east of Gallatin. Cross the river and go up into the sloughs behind the islands there. Plenty of gar and carp.

CopperJohnny
04-16-2011, 02:35 PM
I used to do a good bit of bowfishing. One of my favorite places was Station Camp Creek where it backs up. If you walk the bank when they are shoaling you can find lots of them under the overhanging bushes. I'm talking about carp by the way.

txnative
04-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Copperjohnny's right. I used to live in the log cabin in that corner and spent a ton of time shooting carp. Now, when they're spawning is good. Since i picked up a fly rod, i haven't used my bow, though. Carp, buffalo, and other "trash" fish are waaayy more fun on a rod than skewered with an arrow, imo.

Chris

bd-
04-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Since i picked up a fly rod, i haven't used my bow, though. Carp, buffalo, and other "trash" fish are waaayy more fun on a rod than skewered with an arrow, imo.

Agreed! I cringe whenever people start talking bowfishing because they're always talking about "my" favorite flats for flyfishing for carp! :D

A bowfisherman could do very well drifting with the current on the main channel of the Cumberland below Old Hickory Dam, especially in summer at slower flows. I put in at Neely's Bend and fish downriver from time to time, and I always see large numbers of very large gar and some big buffalo also.

All I ask of the bowfishermen is that they make some use of their catch instead of just killing them and throwing them back. I hate seeing dozens and dozens of dead and wounded carp, buffalo, and gar scattered around after a bowfishing boat has gone through, even if they are just "trash" fish to many folks.

bd

stickngar21
04-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Don't you worry about that, most people think gar aren't good to eat. But thats cuz they ain't had em. I love fryin' up the gar I shoot. Thanks for the recommendations!