PDA

View Full Version : Harpeth questions

CopperJohnny
04-15-2011, 09:34 AM
I know some of you guys fish the Harpeth so I have questions. Is there anywhere I can wade it or do I need a boat? Can I reasonably expect to be able to seine some bait or do I need to bring it with me? And where would be the easiest access if i bring two kids? Thanks in advance for any help.

Adough
04-15-2011, 09:45 AM
I know some of you guys fish the Harpeth so I have questions. Is there anywhere I can wade it or do I need a boat? Can I reasonably expect to be able to seine some bait or do I need to bring it with me? And where would be the easiest access if i bring two kids? Thanks in advance for any help.

Most of the summer you can easily wade a lot of it. I can't specifically tell you where you could wade it with kids but, I would think out towards the Narrows would provide lots of access. Franklin area off of Old Natchez has some accessible spots as well. I would bring my own bait just to be sure I had it. I'eve had sporadic success on the Harpeth myself but I always return.

lucegoose
04-15-2011, 10:19 AM
The easiest access, especially with kids, is the Little Harpeth as it it runs along the picnic area in Warner Park off Vaughn Rd. Plenty of places all along there to walk right in. Can be annoying when too many people are there letting their dogs take a noisy dip in the river, but weekdays are very calm. And there are more fish there than you might think.

For the main Harpeth, search Google for canoe access points. There are a number of them and the ones I've tried have shallow spots. I wouldn't try wading the main river right now, though. It's high and fast. Will be more so after today's deluge.

I always use artificial baits, so can't help with the live bait question.

Good luck!