PDA

View Full Version : Merc Outboard Problem

livebaitech
04-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Can anyone help me out ? I have a 1968 Merc 50HP that started right up on the first try this spring, but there wasn't any water coming out of the tattle tale pee hole.

I've dropped the lower unit and the impeller looks great, but replaced it with an new one anyway. I've pushed a straw from a can of WD40 in the hole to make sure nothing was clogging it, and I've used a nozzle to spray water up the metal tube that goes from the lower unit water pump to the tube that connects to the pee hole. I could not get any water to
come out of the pee hole.

Just a guess on my part, the only thing that I can think of is that there may be a connection between the top of the metal tube that runs from the lower unit to the upper part of the engine to the plastic tubing that connects to the pee hole that may have come off of the top of the metal tube. Does anyone know if that is the way the Mercs are made? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated ! Thanks

tkwalker
04-13-2011, 08:26 PM
Livebait ... The water tube connects directly to the power head .... No plastic tubes on a 68 ... the hose that goes to your tell tale comes directly off of the upper part od the head ... Some came off of the lower head of that vintage ...

Pull the hose off of the barbed fitting of your tell tale ... and see if you have water flow ... sometimes insects will build dirt nests in the open lines ... if you have flow out of your hose going to the tell tale take a drill bit and clean out the holes in the plastic fitting ... it is a 45 degree so you will need to work both ends ... See if this helps .... <'TK>< ;)

Travis C.
04-13-2011, 08:29 PM
That is what I was thinking too TK.

I had a problem of dirt daubers building inside mine almost every year. Sometimes even covered up.