PDA

View Full Version : Old Hick 4/10

Travis C.
04-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Took dad out today for a little while. It was a tough start for us as we could not peg them in a pattern until about 3 hours in. We ended up catching about 10 bass between and 4 keepers biggest being about 3 lbs.

I am sure there were more than one pattern working for everyone but our seem to fit fishing in 20ft off the creek channel on chunk rock banks. All fish slammed our bait so there were feeding pretty good. The water was low 60's pretty much the whole time from 430 am on until we left.

Our lures that we had success on were chigger craws and new swim baits from a company in PA. We ordered 50 of each in three sizes and the 1/8 oz was the real deal. I loved fishing the the 5" version and can't wait to get it on a couple bodies of private water that has some big bass.

MikeSD
04-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Glad you had some luck- no dice for me. I was out from about 11am till 230 pm. The Lowrance showed surface temps between 68 and 72*. I was really thinking I'd get into some shallow aggressive bass action, but nothing doing.

Similar reports from other at the ramp.

I went further back into some creeks and pockets, and saw surface action- it was gizzard shad jumping all over the place in 1-4 FOW. I snagged one with a crankbait, which was my only action today. I would guess that they are getting ready to spawn, if they are not already.

Water was muddy where I was, which may explain the higher temps I was reading.

Boaters beware, there is a ton of junk in the main channel.

Travis C.
04-11-2011, 10:59 AM
You were thinking like me at the start of the day. We tried several types of shallow places and either they were not interested or not there. So I said lets change where we are looking and when searching for me a change means drastic change. We went from 3-8ft banks to 20+ ft banks and started catching fish. That is one thing I like to do when looking for fish or if I am stuck catching the same size of fish at say 12ft then I'll go to 3ft or 25ft. Seems to always work.