PDA

View Full Version : Louisiana and West Virginia

MattR
04-05-2011, 12:53 PM
I've got two trips coming up in the near future and was wondering if anyone had any insight into these areas. I'll be traveling to Lafeyette, LA and Morgantown, West Virginia. Likely going for redfish in LA, and not sure in West VA.

Thanks for the help!

skiff_life
04-05-2011, 04:10 PM
I was in Venice a couple of weeks ago and slayed the redfish in the "Wagon Wheel" - I took the skiff down. I've also had a lot of luck fishing with guides in Lafitte, LA - Alden Bourgeois is a good guide and will put you on the fish.

MattR
06-02-2011, 08:02 AM
Here are some pics from my trip last week to West Virginia, this is the Cheat River near Morgantown in the very northern part of the state. I got my first white water canoeing experience on the trip, and I think I'm perfectly happy sticking with our quieter middle Tennessee waters...:o
After the second big rapid, my buddy tells me they named it the Cheat River because it cheats men out of their lives!

We caught a few fish including smallies, a rock bass, and several white bass. An absolutely gorgeous float that keeps you deep in a gorge the entire time with tons of waterfalls coming in from both sides. Good times!

bd-
06-02-2011, 05:11 PM
On a fast river in a canoe, I hate how just when the best fishing water comes along, you have to put your rod down and paddle like your life depended on it (because it might)!

Beautiful river though. Wish I was there.

bd

Reel Tune
06-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Great looking river, glad you made it outta there safe.

Jeremy

lilmule
06-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Morgantown is smallmouth in ohio river and tributaries.
A yak would be more at home below summersville dam or parts of the new river-also smallies also home to a fair amount of copperheads and timber rattlers.Most of which wont bother you providing you do the same,but evident as can see them during your trip basking on river rocks,or swimming.
On bridge day they base jump from the new river gorge bridge,yup lots folks with loose marbles.