PDA

View Full Version : Caney Fork trout.. bigger ones.

jad2t
04-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Hey everybody. I frequently fish the Caney Fork River and have no problem slaying trout with the flyrod but they're all generally pretty small. The biggest one I've landed out there was about 14 inches. I know that river has some huge trout in excess of 10 pounds but how are they caught? Does anyone have suggestions or proven methods? No bait please, I don't like to use bait because I feel it takes away from the sport and tactic of fishing. I'm an artificial lure fishermen only! I know that I probably won't have much luck trying to catch these larger trout with the flyrod but I do have regular fishing rods. Large rooster tails? Spoons? Rapalas? What do these monsters eat??

Jimmy

txnative
04-01-2011, 04:14 PM
I won't go into specifics on a public forum, but i will recommend thinking like a large predatory fish. Fortunately, many people don't grasp this concept, hence the existence of huge trout in a heavily fished river.

Chris

jad2t
04-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Another thing I'd like to know is WHERE are the bigger ones caught? By the dam? I generally fish in shallow water because I'm always wading. Are the larger ones found in the shallow, wadeable areas or do I need to get in a boat and fish the deeper water?

txnative
04-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Deeper holes are always a good place to start. From there, try to identify where prime spots are. It is the same with any fish, really. Start in an area that provides what a fish wants, then isolate the prime locations. Everyone who fishes the caney has their own honey holes that they found by being on the water. A boat helps a lot because you can cover more water, but don't rule out canoes, kayaks, or even walking the bank. If i just gave out a list of spots, i think i would end up missing. Plus, finding productive spots on your own makes it more fun...i know it does for me.

Chris

robhal11
04-02-2011, 09:31 AM
I agree withe TXNATIVE, I fish from the dam down to Carthage, it just depends on what section of river I feel good about that day(and the generation schdule). Spent a lot of time the past two years, sometimes twice a week, over there just trying different things and spots. The bigger ones I have caught and seen caught were on down the river a few miles(less folks too). It is a lot of fun when you find your own "little holes here and there". I used kayak for awhile and then purchased a 14 jon boat. The last time I went caught two Brookies, one right after the other over 12". A kid on the bank caught one also about that size. I have only caught 1 in the past two years up until that time. You just never know. Have a great spring.

Travis C.
04-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Are you looking for bigger as in over 14 inches or are you looking for the mid-20's and up? There is a BIG difference in the two.

A brown will typically turn carnivore in the upper teen's to 22 inch range. You can still catch them on bugs but that won't tickle their fancy. You as an adult might like to eat m&m's still but when it comes time to satisfy your hunger you would rather go with a steak. Same with the big trout. Those can on average consume a fish up to half it's body length in a feeding. Say a 24" brown gets hungry it could eat a 12" brookie then be fine for a day or so.

Using that info you can taylor your fly game and conventional gear to be better suited for them. You can't get too big IF your throwing baits in search of the big ones.

As far as where. A very small % will catch one over 25" when the water is low. During periods of higher water is your better bet. They feel more comfortable and will move around more.

I could go into more but since there are plenty people who just watch these sites for info will stop at that.

jebtcop
04-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Hey everybody. I frequently fish the Caney Fork River and have no problem slaying trout with the flyrod but they're all generally pretty small. The biggest one I've landed out there was about 14 inches. I know that river has some huge trout in excess of 10 pounds but how are they caught? Does anyone have suggestions or proven methods? No bait please, I don't like to use bait because I feel it takes away from the sport and tactic of fishing. I'm an artificial lure fishermen only! I know that I probably won't have much luck trying to catch these larger trout with the flyrod but I do have regular fishing rods. Large rooster tails? Spoons? Rapalas? What do these monsters eat??

Jimmy
Don't rule out the fly rod! When I'm after bigger fish, the only thing I'm going to throw are big streamers. Can you catch big trout on a tiny dry? Sure. Have I? Nope..:D

Fishmanjoe
04-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Are there any good boat ramps there? I have a 16ft Duck/Fishing Boat. I used to go down there in a canoe, but I was wondering if there was a stretch deep enough to go in with the boat.

jad2t
04-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Are you looking for bigger as in over 14 inches or are you looking for the mid-20's and up? There is a BIG difference in the two.

A brown will typically turn carnivore in the upper teen's to 22 inch range. You can still catch them on bugs but that won't tickle their fancy. You as an adult might like to eat m&m's still but when it comes time to satisfy your hunger you would rather go with a steak. Same with the big trout. Those can on average consume a fish up to half it's body length in a feeding. Say a 24" brown gets hungry it could eat a 12" brookie then be fine for a day or so.

Using that info you can taylor your fly game and conventional gear to be better suited for them. You can't get too big IF your throwing baits in search of the big ones.

As far as where. A very small % will catch one over 25" when the water is low. During periods of higher water is your better bet. They feel more comfortable and will move around more.

I could go into more but since there are plenty people who just watch these sites for info will stop at that.

I'm looking for 20s and up!! I've caught tons of smaller trout, 14in being the largest one so far but I'm up for the challenge of landing one of those monster trout that lurk in this river. I'd like to get one on the flyrod perhaps on a big streamer or clauser minnow but first I'll try to get one using the spinning rod. Thanks for the info on their diet change as they grow. It looks like rapalas, spoons, possibly crankbaits too will be getting used on my next trip :D

Travis C.
04-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Are there any good boat ramps there? I have a 16ft Duck/Fishing Boat. I used to go down there in a canoe, but I was wondering if there was a stretch deep enough to go in with the boat.

There are ramps below the Dam on either side and a few places down stream. Depending on how shallow your boat drafts it may be a good bet to put in at Happy during generation then motor up to the Dam and fish back to Happy before to water drops out.

It can be run with a boat that size but it is real tough. I think bd used to run it in his tracker and would have more insight on a boat that size.

There are a lot of shallow water runs that you really need to have intimate knowledge of before trying to operate a boat around if on low water.

On high water you should be fine just watch out for strainers and the bridges. The fishing is usually better when the water is up 1 generator or so anyways.