PDA

View Full Version : Cheap fishing kayak

MattC
03-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Does anybody know of a fishing kayak for around $200-$300 bucks. I plan on using it in the harpeth. It doesnt have to be an actual angling kayak just one that will work as one.

Reel Tune
03-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Good luck finding one for $200-$300, but here's an idea, the most expensive thing would be the shirt. I recommend leaving out the trolling motor and battery. I would also say that a 240cm+ paddle would be needed.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_GZ1JmzOQfHo/TJ6P_5Al3ZI/AAAAAAAAA0o/yf9ZJQ4emgQ/s1600/redneck_bass_boat.jpg

txnative
03-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Check academy sports. They have a fairly decent selection of kayaks and kayak gear at good prices.

Chris

MattC
03-22-2011, 09:00 PM
Good luck finding one for $200-$300, but here's an idea, the most expensive thing would be the shirt. I recommend leaving out the trolling motor and battery. I would also say that a 240cm+ paddle would be needed.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_GZ1JmzOQfHo/TJ6P_5Al3ZI/AAAAAAAAA0o/yf9ZJQ4emgQ/s1600/redneck_bass_boat.jpg
I'll have to pass on that one but does anyone know anyhting about the pelican pursuit 100 10 foot kayak

jackson
03-22-2011, 09:08 PM
I have a used one I'll sell you in that price range. I bought it new 2 years ago at Dick's and have only had it out once or twice. I honestly can't remember. It's been stored in my garage the entire time. PM me if you're interested.

Reel Tune
03-22-2011, 09:21 PM
^^^^ There you go a kayak in your price range. I don't think I would be caught wearing a Bamma shirt either:)

Jeremy

Travis C.
03-22-2011, 09:51 PM
I had thought there was one at Academy but it was a kids version after I looked it up. They were $99 and support up to 140lbs.

MattC
03-22-2011, 10:17 PM
what about the pelican castaway 100 10 foot kayak with rod holders. only $299.99

txnative
03-23-2011, 09:02 AM
The pelican should be fine if you primarily fish small rivers and don't venture offshore on larger lakes. Its' 250 lb capacity is a little low for me, but i weigh 200 lbs and like to carry a lot of gear, including a battery for my depthfinder. If you stay in rivers, don't carry a lot of gear, and don't weigh as much as me, then the pelican would be a good choice. I like the layout of the cockpit and the fact that it only weighs 43 lbs, so you can carry and launch it anywhere.

Whatever yak you choose, make sure you have enough left in your budget for a pfd and good paddle. You don't need a high-dollar carbon fiber paddle, but you won't enjoy yak fishing as much if you use a paddle that weighs a ton and makes you kill yourself to propel the yak.

If you have any more questions, feel free to pm me or post in this thread. I don't have the money to buy all the luxuries i'd like for my yak, so i've learned a few tricks that let me rig my yak like i want without shelling out a lot of money.

Chris

Adough
03-23-2011, 09:26 AM
I picked one up from craigslist a couple of weeks ago for $200. It's an emotion SOT. I only plan on hitting up the rivers.

MattC
03-23-2011, 09:39 AM
The pelican should be fine if you primarily fish small rivers and don't venture offshore on larger lakes. Its' 250 lb capacity is a little low for me, but i weigh 200 lbs and like to carry a lot of gear, including a battery for my depthfinder. If you stay in rivers, don't carry a lot of gear, and don't weigh as much as me, then the pelican would be a good choice. I like the layout of the cockpit and the fact that it only weighs 43 lbs, so you can carry and launch it anywhere.

Whatever yak you choose, make sure you have enough left in your budget for a pfd and good paddle. You don't need a high-dollar carbon fiber paddle, but you won't enjoy yak fishing as much if you use a paddle that weighs a ton and makes you kill yourself to propel the yak.

If you have any more questions, feel free to pm me or post in this thread. I don't have the money to buy all the luxuries i'd like for my yak, so i've learned a few tricks that let me rig my yak like i want without shelling out a lot of money.

Chris
Yeah thanks for the info. it'll be my first kayak. I weigh about 130 so it should work fine.

Fishaholic
03-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Check out Play it again sports I saw a couple there a while back for $150 or less. Whatever kayak you get it can be rigged for fishing without much hassle. You can google fishing kayaks with the model and get great ideas