PDA

View Full Version : converting console steer to tiller

backdoc
03-18-2011, 01:22 PM
TK, I guess this is more directed at you but I figure someone out there has knowledge on it.

I am in the boat market and am looking at two different boats that both have 50 hp console steer evinrude's on them. One is a 1995 model and one is a 1998 model. I was wondering how much it would cost me to convert either of them to a tiller steer. I know I would need a tiller kit, if its a do it yourself job, I'm decent enough at mechanical skills, or if I need a outboard mechanic. What would the total cost and convert be?? I've owned several tiller steers and I prefer them in aluminum boats as I think the extra space is worth its weight in gold.

Thanks,
Justin

tkwalker
03-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Justin, the conversion is that difficult ... But the parts may be pricey if you can find a parts motor ... The 90's vintage tillers used cable and a refined control system ... It all works good ... Now I can probably get new stuff for you but it isn't cheap ... First will have to see what is involved (I have micro fiche) A parts motor with your needs would be the way to go ... 'TK>< :)

tkwalker
03-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Justin, sorry the reply should have read Isn't that difficult .... <'TK>< :)