PDA

View Full Version : Wish I Was 18 Again!

Buccaneer
03-17-2011, 12:13 PM
For anybody that has a high school age angler, please read this. I got this in an e-mail from the FLW. This is great, only problem is we didn't have this opportunity back in the late 70's:

Dear Buccaneer:
Do you have a son or daughter who is currently a high school student? If so, we have a wonderful opportunity to share with you!

We are working with The Bass Federation to allow high school students the chance to win a scholarship to Murray State University by doing the one thing we all love to do, fish! The Murray State High School Fishing Open will be held April 10, 2011 in conjunction with the National Guard FLW College Fishing National Championship. In order to be qualified, participants must be current high school students from any state. They must have a partner from the same high school as well as a coach who will provide the boat from which the team competes. The coach does not have to be affiliated with the school.

The team that weighs in the heaviest overall five bass catch will earn a $10,000 scholarship to Murray State University. The second and third place teams will win scholarships valued at $1,000 and $500, respectively. Additionally, this event will serve as the Kentucky State Championship! The highest finishing team from Kentucky will advance to the FLW Outdoors/TBF High School Fishing Regional Championship held in conjunction with a National Guard FLW College Fishing Regional Championship on a college campus this fall!

College is an exciting time, but as we all know it can be expensive as well. FLW Outdoors wants to encourage all eligible members with high school students to be active in the Murray State Open. Not only will the students get the incredible opportunity to fish for a $10,000 scholarship, they will also get to see the national college clubs compete on amazing Kentucky Lake! To register, go to www.highschoolfishing.org (http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1040986907&msgid=2019777&act=XS1Y&c=424753&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.highschoolfishing.org %2F). Click on register for a tournament and select Murray State Open/Kentucky State Championship.
Please feel free to contact me for more details or if you have any questions. I can be reached directly at 270.252.1575 or walter.haney@murraystate.edu (walter.haney@murraystate.edu). I look forward to seeing you at Kentucky Lake!

Sincerely,
Walter Haney
Murray State High School Fishing Open
Promotions Coordinator

Travis C.
03-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Man, I am there with you.

They started that after I was out of college. That would have been sweet.

whrizob
03-17-2011, 03:25 PM
me too! they started that right after i graduated!!!!! it would be awesome! glad to see the sport is growing!

backdoc
03-17-2011, 03:32 PM
We just moved from Murray as me and my younger brother both played football there. The chiropractor I was in practice with there has a son in High School and they have been an integral part of getting this setup as FLW headquarters in located 20 miles north of there in Benton, KY, my hometown. We actually met with the mangament to set up a tournament on the lake that is happening this weekend. FLW is a terrific organization looking to get more and more high school and college kids into the competitive fishing.

I tried to join the college deal when I was in chiropractic school as they started it right after I finished undergrad and they told me it was for undergraduates only :(.

Buccaneer
03-17-2011, 06:52 PM
C'mon Backdoc, they just didn't like chiropractors. By the way are you practicing in Hendersonville? I set the hook so hard on my first real semi-decent fish and I was off balance with one foot on the TM pedal and think I torqued something. Might need services of a "cracker".