PDA

View Full Version : Big Grubs

Travis C.
03-16-2011, 09:31 AM
Does any of you guys ever use the 5" grubs for bass?

I have used smaller for smallies but never tried them on largemouth. After going through my box that I take it is the only thing not really in there. Well that and swimbaits but I imagine they can replace each other at 5 inches.

If you guys have any suggestions on brand/colors that would be awesome.

Thanks!

RiverShoes
03-16-2011, 10:58 AM
I've used them in the Harpeth. I typically use a 2" or 3" PowerBait, in either pumpkin seed or that clear yellow with metal flake in low light. Of course the fish are smaller there too, so maybe go up in size elsewhere?

They really like this color it seems:

http://shop.canyontacklebox.com/images/bpgps.jpg

And I use the yellow one with shiny flakes in it at low light, just after dusk. It seems to pay off in clear water at that time of evening.

clean air
03-16-2011, 02:21 PM
Years ago when I tournament fished for bass we used big grubs.They worked great on bass and smallmouth really liked them.You can fish them just about anyway you can think of.I use smaller sizes now for whites and walleye but the 5incher is great for bass around brush,timber and dropoffs.Keep a variety of colors from dark to bright to try.For bass I liked dark brown,red and blue.White is a good all round color.

creeksmallie
03-16-2011, 06:14 PM
I use the larger grubs year around.
Case plastics has a Riversmallies King Grub 4.5 inch that I love.
I like to use them top water with bare hook no weight and just ripple across top water and you do not have to burn it. The smallies and the bigger Rock bass will nail it in the creeks after May and thru the summer. I also like them on Center Hill and Dale Hollow this time of year thru spawn in the white and chartreuse colors on a weighted hook. The sauger and walleye like them also in the winter.
Mike

Travis C.
03-16-2011, 07:42 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

I have the weighted hooks and some bullet head jigs hooks for swimbaits. Will have to stock some in pearl and pumpkin. I can dip the pumkin tail tips in chartruse and give them a little bluegill look.

Never thought about weightless along the surface...Thanks Mike.