PDA

View Full Version : Cicadas

TNtransplant08
03-15-2011, 07:47 PM
I was reading on Channel 2 News' website that the 13 year cicada is suppose to come out this May. I'm assuming thats a great thing for fishing. I was wondering what type of lures work during the hatch?

Travis C.
03-15-2011, 07:54 PM
I'm assuming thats a great thing for fishing. I was wondering what type of lures work during the hatch?

It was absolutely insane the last time they came. Anything that flopped on the water with a slash and fit the size was sucked in.

You'd see carp come up and turn mouth up to suck them down. Some of their mouths seemed the size of plungers.

And everything ate them it did not matter species.

Travis C.
03-15-2011, 07:57 PM
Now for the BUT.....

They will drive you crazy and are drawn to vibrations. Mowing grass is difficult and after the first few nights of hearing them the "cool" sound with be chinese water torture.

At least for me... :D

All that said, if you have never experienced this brood it is quite amazing the sheer numbers it brings. As close to a plague of locust as I ever want to get.

Catchingtrout
03-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Check out cicadamania.com

TNtransplant08
03-16-2011, 05:43 AM
It was absolutely insane the last time they came. Anything that flopped on the water with a slash and fit the size was sucked in.

So any surface lure resembling them in size and color...check! Looking forward to it!

TNtransplant08
03-16-2011, 05:47 AM
Now for the BUT.....

They will drive you crazy and are drawn to vibrations. Mowing grass is difficult and after the first few nights of hearing them the "cool" sound with be chinese water torture.

At least for me... :D

All that said, if you have never experienced this brood it is quite amazing the sheer numbers it brings. As close to a plague of locust as I ever want to get.

Well, at least I am deaf. If the sound starts to be come chinese water torture, all I gotta do is take out my cochlear implant. :D You're right, I've never experienced the sheer numbers you're speaking of. So it should be interesting experience.

Scott715
03-16-2011, 11:12 AM
The entomologists are saying it's supposed to be especially true for middle TN specifically, compared to east or west TN. Didn't really read into why, but it had something to do with the geology. I heard that the topwater bite is normally real good when those crazy things are around. My wife is petrified of them. I sent her a big picture of one on her blackberry with its red eyes. Pretty funny.

thehick176
03-16-2011, 11:54 AM
If it holds true for this may, the topwater bite will be incredible this year! I caught the biggest smallmouth of my life the last time they came out. Believe it or not i was using an ultralight outfit catching bluegill with the cicadas, letting them vibrate on top of the water. All the sudden a huge smallie came completely out of the water after she hit it. I caught her on Priest and she weighed 6 1/2 pounds. Imagine the fight i had on ultralight gear!!!!!

Travis C.
03-16-2011, 12:02 PM
If I am not mistaken the target temp for the ground to reach was around 50-55 degrees in order for them to emerge.

Adough
03-16-2011, 12:15 PM
While I am excited about this it seems many of the predicted ones of past years have been quite disappointing. I think it has to do with the spraying for mosquitoes, Urban construction tearing the larvae out of the ground, and perhaps the May flood may killed many of them. I certainly want to be fishing it though.

Ken C
03-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Here is a website with info on "Brood XIX"

http://www.cicadamania.com/cicadas/category/brood-xix/

whrizob
03-16-2011, 10:46 PM
i love it when they come in!!!!!!!!!!! fishing always is better!

wsm2c
03-20-2011, 10:18 AM
The last time they said the cicadas were going to come out they never did, although they did come out in east Tennessee! It seems like they were the 17 year cicada or something of the sort. The bite is getting a little better so far with most crappie I'm catching being tight to cover in stained water. Should be an exciting next month! We shall see!

Scott715
03-21-2011, 02:39 PM
The last time they said the cicadas were going to come out they never did, although they did come out in east Tennessee! It seems like they were the 17 year cicada or something of the sort. The bite is getting a little better so far with most crappie I'm catching being tight to cover in stained water. Should be an exciting next month! We shall see!

They said the bigger emergence of the 17-yr was focused on Knoxville and east TN, but these 13-yr will be specific to middle TN. Happy hunting!

thehick176
03-21-2011, 04:27 PM
I guess i need to invest in a good helmet if they do end up coming out this year. A cicada in the face while your running down the lake would be NO GOOD lol

WXMikey
03-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Should be a good year of "catching". Perhaps it is time to get the cicada baits tied on soon?

Adough
05-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Should be a good year of "catching". Perhaps it is time to get the cicada baits tied on soon?

They're here....Counted over 50 in a matter of minutes patrolling my house.

Ken C
05-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Anyone seen any in the Tims, Normandy, or Woods area. I tied some up fakes for the flyrod 13 years ago and have been losing sleep ever since in anticipation. Last time we had to turn up the TV to hear it over the din, and I haven't seen a one...Help!

MikeSD
05-09-2011, 01:06 PM
I still haven't seen any down my way (Spring Hill)- I keep waiting.

Adough, what part of Nashville are you in?

Has anyone seen them on the lake/shore yet?

Adough
05-09-2011, 02:43 PM
I still haven't seen any down my way (Spring Hill)- I keep waiting.

Adough, what part of Nashville are you in?

Has anyone seen them on the lake/shore yet?

Mike, I'm in Green hills. I live less than a mile from my parents. My son and I were there Saturday and counted dozens. Went back by Sunday and they were there by the hundreds. My yard isn't as impressive, yet.

Had to edit after getting home with my son this afternoon. Did a trip to the mailbox and we noticed something was different. Cicada's by the hundreds. He's 6, thinks it's the coolest thing!

ps, I'm unable to use the "Quick Reply" box. Any suggestions/reasons?

fisherman550
05-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Haven't seen any in the Crossville/Cumberland County area yet-not looking forward to trying to sleep with that racket though. Great fishbait, but the fish soon get their fill and won't hit anything you throw.

RiverShoes
05-09-2011, 09:51 PM
So a top water, like a popper or a buzz bait would be a good choice then right?

Or just pluck a few off the trees and put a hook through their butt and throw them on the water to let them squirm! Right? What's the best way to hook a live one?

Moby Bass
05-10-2011, 08:50 AM
Cicadas are emerging by the thousands in my yard! (Just north of Brentwood)

Travis C.
05-10-2011, 10:04 AM
I can only hear are few up here in the White House area. Wish they'd hurry up my daughter has been wanting to see one.

lucegoose
05-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Only a couple dozen in my yard in west Davidson Co.
No noise from them yet. The ones that end up in my (green and slimy) pool sure kick up a fuss. I can see why the fish home in on them. Can't wait to stick some in my cricket tube and hook them to a line.

Moby Bass
05-10-2011, 10:32 AM
They're not singing or flying yet. That will change soon, though.