PDA

View Full Version : Fish Kill in Drake's Creek

bd-
03-12-2011, 06:15 PM
I live on the lower end of Drake's Creek and it looks like there may have been a fish kill. At first it was mostly threadfin, and so I just figured it was a seasonal kill from winter stress. Within a day or so, however, I am now seeing a whole lot of dead gizzard shad, along with some other dead species including a few skipjack, largemouth, white bass, and bluegill.

I called it in to TWRA this morning. I suspect that with the recent heavy rain, one of our wonderful sewage treatment plants on Old Hickory may have opened up and let a "bypass flow" loose that killed some fish.

If anyone else has heard or seen anything let me know.

bd

intense369
03-12-2011, 10:59 PM
I was out 2 weeks ago with my father-in-law... we started up around steam plant didn't notice much... but then we went to the bays and inlets around coal shute site.... then bays around flippers, and down to bridge, etc... Even into station camp.... thousands and thousands of dead threadfin.... we couldn't figure it out, since at the time it was a nice warm front, water was warming up for awhile at that time.... and now they were all dying.... looked like lots were decaying on floor in the shallows....

made it difficult as it was free for all for the bass....

whrizob
03-12-2011, 11:35 PM
fished all day yesterday 3-11-11 and all day today 3-12-11 and i never seen any dead shad in the areas i was in. i never went to drakes creek though.

sterling21
03-13-2011, 07:38 AM
I live on the lower end of Drake's Creek and it looks like there may have been a fish kill. At first it was mostly threadfin, and so I just figured it was a seasonal kill from winter stress. Within a day or so, however, I am now seeing a whole lot of dead gizzard shad, along with some other dead species including a few skipjack, largemouth, white bass, and bluegill.

I called it in to TWRA this morning. I suspect that with the recent heavy rain, one of our wonderful sewage treatment plants on Old Hickory may have opened up and let a "bypass flow" loose that killed some fish.

If anyone else has heard or seen anything let me know.

bd
i was in drakes at the back last week an didnt see nothing other then shad dieing an that ws due to the seaguls grabing them an another gul knocking it out of its mouth but i ran from front to back looking for stuff holding fish

whrizob
03-13-2011, 10:36 AM
sterling, man you have to use some punctuation on these post. hard to tell were it starts and ends. of course this is coming from someone who is not the best at it.! lol!:p

bd-
03-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Dead threadfin is no big deal. A lot of times they get stressed from cold and then diseases run through the population and you'll get a delayed kill after it starts warming up.

It's when I see dead gamefish mixed in with the shad that I get concerned.

I'm on the lower end of Drake's Creek - way downstream from the Steam Plant.

bd