PDA

View Full Version : Just a Reminder Folks....

jebtcop
03-02-2011, 04:02 PM
It's time to renew your fishing licenses once again. I really wish Tennessee would change the February expiration and just make all sporting licenses valid for one year, from the date of purchase. It's annoying to me, that I paid full price for a trout stamp this past July that is no longer any good. :-/

TNtransplant08
03-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the reminder! I would have forgotten myself.

Travis C.
03-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Also, don't forget there is a new license this year. If you have any people coming in town or have never tried trout fishing due to the cost of a yearly stamp in addition to license

Type 023 & 083, One Day All Species $11.00(resident) $16.00(non-resident)

Reel Tune
03-03-2011, 02:40 PM
We wanted to get our trout stamps last year but getting them in May I couldn't justify it. Wish they were full year also. We will be getting our stamps this year.

Travis C.
03-03-2011, 03:21 PM
We wanted to get our trout stamps last year but getting them in May I couldn't justify it. Wish they were full year also. We will be getting our stamps this year.

The full year trout stamp is $18. They have offered those for years. The license option is really targeted to people traveling to or through who would want to fish but not typically justify $18 for a day of fishing in addition to standard fishing license.

navydocivan
03-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Is the trout stamp required to fish on caney fork or other trout areas if your catching trout and not keeping any of them? .. I think i was told before that it is only required by law if you keep the trout or if you keep them the person carrting tham must have the stamp and number of fish cant go over the number of stamp limit.. i wanted to intro a buddy into trout fishing but he is kinda cheap and dont wanna buy the stamp.... if we are fishing the base of caney fork dam .. how they know we specificly after trout maybe we are after walleye or the skippies.. my luck i catch mostly skippies during the generation anyways.

Travis C.
03-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Is the trout stamp required to fish on caney fork or other trout areas if your catching trout and not keeping any of them? .. I think i was told before that it is only required by law if you keep the trout or if you keep them the person carrting tham must have the stamp and number of fish cant go over the number of stamp limit.. i wanted to intro a buddy into trout fishing but he is kinda cheap and dont wanna buy the stamp.... if we are fishing the base of caney fork dam .. how they know we specificly after trout maybe we are after walleye or the skippies.. my luck i catch mostly skippies during the generation anyways.

The law is "in possession."

You can fish the Caney or any other body of water where there are trout. However, if you catch one it must be returned immediately back to the water. You must have a trout stamp if you have trout in your possession.

Now all that said you are still taking a chance at a law enforcement agents discretion. I don't know where the line in the sand is on this but you can go fish with a regular license just don't keep any trout you may catch and get them back in the water quickly.

Fish Whisperer
03-03-2011, 09:47 PM
I'll never buy another trout stamp because of the slot limit the LL Bean trout fisherman and the TWRA put on the Caney Fork..

fishfindergeneral
03-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Hey Travis, It says in the most frequently asked questions part of the regulation guide that you must have a trout stamp to fish for trout, regardless of harvest or catch and release. When people come out with me and only purchase a regular license. We tell the game warden that we are smallie fishing or walleye and release all trout... If you are caught on the bank of the Caney with trout magnet on the end of your line without a stamp, you might be answering to a charge. Just be careful. I know the FNF guys on Dale Hollow catch a lot of trout but they are smallie fishing. So I guess it comes down to the mood of the agent at the time. Hope this helps. Here is one for you . On Dale The daily creel limit on trout is 7 per day per person, but the possession limit is two daily creel limits. So if you are fishing at night and catch your 7 by midnight, can you catch another 7 after and possess all 14 at once? the possession limit...

Travis C.
03-04-2011, 12:10 AM
You are right on Dave. I was intending it for those who are fishing for other species and happen to catch trout. Definitely, I would say get the stamp if you are going to be trying to catch them whether you want to keep or not.

My info was coming from a warden up there at the Caney but it is totally up to that guy checking you that day. If he is in a bad mood you aren't going to slide.

That is interesting on the twice the creel possession. Do you guys use them for bait up there. I always thought of the striper guys when that scenario comes up and having them in the bait tank. Your 7 before midnight and 7 after would work too.

Didn't they remove the restrictions on trout up there lakeside?

fishfindergeneral
03-04-2011, 12:59 AM
They sure did, a long time coming if you ask me. The rule was out of date and meant to protect the lake trout which disapeared in '93. Go get'em boys.... as far as bait goes we don't use them, I have a big smoker....Mmmm smoked trout

Travis C.
03-04-2011, 01:58 PM
The rule was out of date and meant to protect the lake trout which disapeared in '93.

Are they really gone or is it that those fish seem to stay so deep makes it hard to catch them?

When was the last time you seen one from up there?

riverrat09
03-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Hey Travis, It says in the most frequently asked questions part of the regulation guide that you must have a trout stamp to fish for trout, regardless of harvest or catch and release. When people come out with me and only purchase a regular license. We tell the game warden that we are smallie fishing or walleye and release all trout... If you are caught on the bank of the Caney with trout magnet on the end of your line without a stamp, you might be answering to a charge. Just be careful. I know the FNF guys on Dale Hollow catch a lot of trout but they are smallie fishing. So I guess it comes down to the mood of the agent at the time. Hope this helps. Here is one for you . On Dale The daily creel limit on trout is 7 per day per person, but the possession limit is two daily creel limits. So if you are fishing at night and catch your 7 by midnight, can you catch another 7 after and possess all 14 at once? the possession limit...

Just make sure you aren't possessing all 14 fish while on the water because that is against the law.

Yes you can possess 14 fish, and you can keep 7 fish before midnight, but you would need to leave the water and do something with the fish before you could go back out and catch your 7 more after midnight.

fishfindergeneral
03-05-2011, 01:12 AM
In 93 there was a fish kill on Dale simillar to what happened to Lake Cumberland last summer. People were riding around in August dip netting lakers all day on the surface when they should have been 70 to 120 ft deep. The TWRA decided the dissolved oxygen levels were not right on Dale from year to year, to sustain the species and discontinued the stocking program. I know guys that trolled for them in the Eighties and Nineties. They use to slay'em all summer long and they never caught another after 93. They quit coming up after 2000. I fish all winter long on Dale and if there were still lakers in there, they would be catchable then, shallow.