PDA

View Full Version : Wow look what I found!

Travis C.
03-02-2011, 03:09 PM
I personally have never seen this picture but only heard all the stories passed down by my grandfather. This was probably one of the most talked about freshwater records of its time and maybe all time. None the less it is a very interesting read.

Here is the site:

http://www.freshwater-fishing.org/articles-tips/DHarper/Dettloff-Harper-Walleye.php

Here is the World Record Walleye from Old Hickory caught by Mabry Harper.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/illinois-outdoors/assets_c/2010/05/MaryHarper2-thumb-640xauto-149038.jpg

fishfindergeneral
03-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Great find, what a fish!!!!

MikefromMo
03-02-2011, 09:32 PM
That is INSANE!!!

Catchingtrout
03-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the info.

tkwalker
03-03-2011, 12:34 AM
I employeed the cousin who helped enjoy a day of a fish fry of this world record ....( I have known this for over 25 years) The gentleman lived in Hartsville, TN at the time ..... he said it was a big fish .... and the Harper family had a good time eating fish that day ... other than the Walleye, Catfish, Bass .etc .... Truly a record ...

I know there has been pro and cons with Mathamatical adjustments with comparisons of finger and hand size etc.... With the actual size of this fish... But personally catching 10 plus pound walleye ... this was a monster!! ....

The only thing that stands out in my mind the Cousin said it was caught in a net .... none the less it is a big fish ... <'TK>< :confused:

bd-
03-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Interesting - I have heard from a few old timers around Gallatin that the walleye was actually caught in a net too. No way to tell these days if it's true or just a "sour grapes" rumor.

One thing is for sure - the Cumberland River had some massive walleyes before hydroelectric dams wiped out the larger river strain that was native to this area. There are still some big ones (I've seen walleye over 10 lbs. in the Caney), but not like they used to have years ago.

bd

clean air
03-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Every spring I see walleye on my river that are 7-9pounds.We have caught many that go 6 and my 2 partners have a 8 and the other has a 9 on the wall.So there are alot of good fish since the twra started heavy stocking a decade ago.We just keep trying for that 10 pounder.I have had several on that would have been 10 but didnt get them in.But the bite is starting so I might get lucky this spring.I have a place that gets stocked and doesnt get much walleye fishing pressure.I have started using live bait but dont know how it should be rigged and if I should use large tuffies or shad?I been tipping jigs with large tuffies and floating them under a bobber.Any ideas would be welcomed.THANKS CLEAN-AIR!

TNtransplant08
03-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Hmmm...wish I could help ya out man. When I fished the Wolf River in Wisconsin when the walleyes head upstream from Lake Winnebago to spawn, I'd use large fatheads (aka Tuffies) or jumbo sized leech on jigs. I'd cast the jig upstream and bounce it along the bottom as the current carries it past the boat while drifting. Not sure if the same applies here. My guess is that shad might work better if you can keep 'em alive long enough since its probably its biggest forage. I wonder if a Lindy rig would work well since it involves a pretty thin hook

clean air
03-15-2011, 03:58 PM
I am bank fishing and rapalas and grubs have always worked in the past.I think there may be a better way to catch them.I will keep at it and post if I get into them.I think the large tuffies should work.