PDA

View Full Version : Best Trout in Tennessee?

ColdFootedAssassin
03-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Hello everyone, name is Curtis and I am an avid fisherman from Southern California. I am a proud member of a fishing club back home known as Team 57 and we use a forum networking site much like this, known as FNN. I am currently visiting in Loudon under the unfortunate circumstances of my grandfather passing away last week. Michael Stott was a wonderful man and a highly decorated naval officer. He was a deep sea navy salvage diver and after many years in the service, he ended his career with the prestigious rank of Chief Warrant Officer. He was an amazing man, who loved his country and the outdoors; he will truly be missed by family and friends alike. My grandfather was one of the most impressive fishermen I have ever seen and I would love nothing more than to wet a line here in beautiful Tennessee in his honor. My most coveted species to fish is trout, but unfortunately, where I am from, most of the trout I see are stocked and shipped in from places like this. I have been absolutely taken aback, by how beautiful this area is and I am itching to get my hands on some "real" and natural trout. I have been doing the research and there is, without a doubt, plenty of opportunities and places to fish, but being so unfamiliar with the area, I want to make sure I put myself in the best possible position to catch as many big native trout as I can. That is where you guys come in, I would be very appreciative and thankful of any advice or suggestions the local fishermen can give me. I have access to a car and surprisingly enough, I have managed to scrounge some cash together, considering my starving college student budget. There are so many bodies of water here, which ones are the best? I also have no problem hiring a guide, so if anyone has a recommendation or a story of a good experience, it would be extremely helpful to be sent in the right direction. In return, if anyone ever comes out to Southern California, I will do my best to be just as accommodating and helpful in showing what my fishing community is all about. So in the spirit and camaraderie of the brotherhood of fishing, please help me!

jebtcop
03-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Hello everyone, name is Curtis and I am an avid fisherman from Southern California. I am a proud member of a fishing club back home known as Team 57 and we use a forum networking site much like this, known as FNN. I am currently visiting in Loudon under the unfortunate circumstances of my grandfather passing away last week. Michael Stott was a wonderful man and a highly decorated naval officer. He was a deep sea navy salvage diver and after many years in the service, he ended his career with the prestigious rank of Chief Warrant Officer. He was an amazing man, who loved his country and the outdoors; he will truly be missed by family and friends alike. My grandfather was one of the most impressive fishermen I have ever seen and I would love nothing more than to wet a line here in beautiful Tennessee in his honor. My most coveted species to fish is trout, but unfortunately, where I am from, most of the trout I see are stocked and shipped in from places like this. I have been absolutely taken aback, by how beautiful this area is and I am itching to get my hands on some "real" and natural trout. I have been doing the research and there is, without a doubt, plenty of opportunities and places to fish, but being so unfamiliar with the area, I want to make sure I put myself in the best possible position to catch as many big native trout as I can. That is where you guys come in, I would be very appreciative and thankful of any advice or suggestions the local fishermen can give me. I have access to a car and surprisingly enough, I have managed to scrounge some cash together, considering my starving college student budget. There are so many bodies of water here, which ones are the best? I also have no problem hiring a guide, so if anyone has a recommendation or a story of a good experience, it would be extremely helpful to be sent in the right direction. In return, if anyone ever comes out to Southern California, I will do my best to be just as accommodating and helpful in showing what my fishing community is all about. So in the spirit and camaraderie of the brotherhood of fishing, please help me!
First of all, I'm sorry about the loss of your grandfather. It sounds like he was great man. Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with the trout fishing opportunities in your area. If you were in Middle TN, I would recommend the Caney Fork River. East Tennessee has some great trout fishing rivers like the Holston and Watauga. Do you plan on fly fishing or spin fishing? I'm sure someone here will be able to give you some more helpful information. Someone here can probably recommend a good guide service, as well, if you decide to go that route. If you have the money, that's probably a good way to proceed on unfamiliar rivers. Good luck to you, and again, my condolences for your loss.

ColdFootedAssassin
03-02-2011, 12:02 AM
First of all, I'm sorry about the loss of your grandfather. It sounds like he was great man. Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with the trout fishing opportunities in your area. If you were in Middle TN, I would recommend the Caney Fork River. East Tennessee has some great trout fishing rivers like the Holston and Watauga. Do you plan on fly fishing or spin fishing? I'm sure someone here will be able to give you some more helpful information. Someone here can probably recommend a good guide service, as well, if you decide to go that route. If you have the money, that's probably a good way to proceed on unfamiliar rivers. Good luck to you, and again, my condolences for your loss.

Thank you for your words and condolences. Thanks for the advice. I am more towards the East side of Tennessee, but I have a car, and like any passionate fisherman, I would drive as far as it takes to get the biggest and the best. Typically at home, I usually spin fish for trout, but part of me wants to take on the challenge of fly fishing...

Fishmanjoe
03-02-2011, 01:10 AM
Caney Fork has some big fish, but they are stocked. They are bred here, but still not native. If you are in east tennessee, try some of the streams in the Smoky Mountain National Park for some native brook trout. They are not large, but are native.

Travis C.
03-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Welcome Curtis, I will second that on your loss and I know how it feels. My grandfather was very similiar to yours and served in the Korean War with the Navy.

I would highly suggest Chris.

http://www.rodandgunguide.com/Home/home.php

He knows all the big time trout water inside/out and Tn trout in general.

If nothing else contact him for direction. He has always been more than helpful when I have need help with things.

tennfish
03-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Went to school in Knoxville and did a LOT of fishing for trout while I was there. Here are some ideas:

Tellico River - awesome place that will impress you with its beauty. With the recent rains, it might be tough because of high flow.

Chillhowie Res. and water on the Little Tennesse River - If you have a boat, Chillhowie is a fun place to fish. it sets between Smoky Mtn. Nat. Park and Cherokee Nat. Forest. Go up Abrams Creek and you might find some real hogs up there. If you don't have a boat, you can fish the tailrace below the dam or work the banks on the Cherokee side of the lake.

Both of these places are reasonably close to Loudon.

Sorry for your loss but can think of no better way to honor your grandfather than do something he would have loved to do himself.

Catchingtrout
03-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Travis C. is right on. Chris is a really nice guy and knows his resources.

Ken C
03-03-2011, 10:05 AM
I too am sorry for your loss, and thankful for your grandfathers service. Seems to have been a man we could all learn from. As far as the trout fishing goes, you are so close the the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, it would be a shame not to take in its beauty along with the trout fishing. It is true free stone mountain trout fishing in magnificent surroundings. You can fish close to the road, or hike in to some secuded spots. Along with the other suggestions, you should contact Little River Outfitters in Townsend. They are some of the most helpful folks around.

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/

bd-
03-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Somebody up above hit on the dilemma - there are big trout in the tailwaters in Tennessee, but they are mostly stocked. The wild trout are mostly small.

The South Holston River has a wild brown trout fishery that will probably give you your best shot of getting a trophy sized trout that was spawned rather than stocked. Note that the brown trout in the SoHo are wild (meaning not stocked), but they are not "native," since brown trout are originally native to Europe.

If you want true native trout, that means brook trout fishing. You will want to go to the small creeks at high elevations in the Smokies for that. In those waters, an 8-incher is a trophy fish though - they are wild, native, and beautiful, but the conditions up there are harsh and the fish do not get big.

bd