PDA

View Full Version : I need crappie tips

Dizzy
02-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Ok im needing crappie fishing tips.. Like what is the best bait for them and the best time to get out and catch them.. when is their spawning season.. If any one could help it would be great.

Thanks

Buccaneer
02-23-2011, 01:29 PM
Not sure what lake you frequent, but in the spring it is a pretty universal pattern. The shallow bite will begin to ramp up as the water temps hit and hold in the mid 50's. Leading up to that temp, you will find crappie in various stages of readiness to spawn so your focus should be on following creek channels from the mouth of the creek back toward the head of the creek (or progressively shallower water). Look for structure, primarily wood, and you should find crappie in, around and suspended near it.
When the crappie are in spawn mode, the bite can be as shallow as inches of water, but in virtually all cases it will be oriented to woody cover, tree limbs, stake beds, stumps, whatever. Bait placement must sometimes be precise, right next to the cover, to get bit. Use tube jigs and tight line or use a slip bobber and a long B&M crappie rod to keep your distance from disturbing the shallow fish. Tube colors don;t matter as long as chartreuse is in there somewhere. I use black head, red body, chartreuse tail tube and Berkley Crappie Nibbles. Good luck.

Travis C.
02-23-2011, 05:06 PM
I like to use this anytime of the year on them.

http://www.renoskylures.com/Merchant/graphics/00000001/SU/KJM116-P.jpg

Renowsky Keystone Jig fished by itself with a BB shot about 12 inches above reeled slow as you can without hanging up. You can also fish under a float around structure.

They are my favorite baits to use on crappie, bluegill and really anything else will eat them. I have even caught trout on these.

YumDinger
02-25-2011, 09:29 AM
This is by far the best bait to use for crappie. You may get a few other species also..................

http://photos2.fotosearch.com/bthumb/BDX/BDX256/bxp44806.jpg

whrizob
02-25-2011, 02:26 PM
i would say the best bait would be a float and live minnows. probably catches more crappie than any other bait out there. now with that said, using jigs are a great way to catch them too. i like a 3/16 once pink jig head it a chartuse curtail grub. i use the jig to locate the crappie. and once i found them i will start fishing with a float and minnow. on old hickory, in my experience, it seems like they start spawning when water temp is 55 to 60 degrees. these crappie really relate to brush around docs on this lake. hope that helps.

Dizzy
02-25-2011, 08:30 PM
thanks for all the help and tips.. An thank you to yumdinger for your tip on getting crappie:D... lol dont think i will be applying that method but who knows:D.. thanks again