PDA

View Full Version : old hickory lake 02-20-11

whrizob
02-21-2011, 10:15 AM
well guys i got out about 10:00am yesterday. i loaded at station camp creek. i was going for bass today. i started out fishing a couple banks that usually do well for me, fished them for about an hour. i threw lipless cranks, medium depth cranks, jerbaits, and a jigging spoon. not one bite! the wind was just blowing too hard to fish it slow. so i decided to run to spencer creek. i fished down some bluffs with no luck. i then came to a big spawning pocket that i have caught fish in the past. first thing i noticed was turtles on logs along the edge. first ones i have seen. looked at water temp and it read 50 degrees. i got excited! i notice there were shad flickering in the mouth of this cove. through lipless and caught my first bass. about 7 inches long. it was a start. i ended up catching 6 more bass in this same spot, but all were 6 to 7 inches long. decided to do something different. i make a long run up lake, almost to bledsoe to fish another spot like the one i was catching fish in. i get there and start fishing the rip rap bank in about 10 ft of water. caught 2 more 6 inch bass. there were a couple guys crappie fishing, and i asked how there were doing. they said they caugth a few, but only one keeper. it was obvious to me that i was catching males that have moved up first and no big fish have. i decided to go back to station camp to fish with these guys for crappie. we ran back and started fishing a tree they had found. we ended up catching about 15 with only 5 keepers. they decided to call it day and headed in. it was only 4:00. so i decided to keep on bass fishing. i decided to fish the creek channel this time and slow down and throw a jig. the wind stop blowing hard, so i could do this. my third cast i catch a fish. finally a keeper, right around 2 pounds. then about 5 cast later i feel another tap! i set the hook. another good solid keeper. right at 3 pounds! im getting excited now. ive been at them all day and finally! so i fished about 25 yards down the channel and i feel a tree on the bottom. i worked the jig through it and felt something odd? then my line went side ways. i set the hook! bam, a big one! i fight the fish and bring it to the top. and guys, the lord is my witness. this fish was everybit 6 to 7 pounds. a hog! i wear her down and this is where i messed up. i have my net laying there to be used and i decide that im just going to reach down and lip her. i reach down, held my rod high, and as soon as i touched her lip, bam the line broke. and then my heart broke! i wanted a pic of that fish so bad to show ya'll, but she one that battle. i made a mistake that has never happened to me before. but i learned my lesson and believe me, im using the net next time! so i sucked it, retied, and finish fishing the rest of the creek channel bend. i caught one last one, about 7 inches long. i decided to call it a day! so for the first time since winter, i finally go on some fish on the lake. i had many positive things to take from the day, and some negatives i hope to learn from. but all in all, another good day on the water!

Scott715
02-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Good report. I would have liked to seen a picture too.

Jim
02-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Nice report. It is almost like I was fishing with you instead of stuck on the computer ;)

I hate losing the big ones, but it makes the desire to get them next time that much stronger.

Fishaholic
02-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Well by saltwater standards that was a legal release :p and you were going to release him anyways so don't feel bad you just increased his survival chances by doing it sooner so you can catch him during your next tournament when it really counts

whrizob
02-22-2011, 09:32 AM
lol! i guess you right, it was a clean release for the saltwater guys!!!! i wish!:confused: