PDA

View Full Version : old hickory dam 02-19-11

whrizob
02-19-2011, 08:48 PM
ok guys, start out by saying it did not get as warm as they said it would today! lol! o well, still had to go. my trip today was a special one for me. me and my grandfather has been planning this trip for a couple months now. every since i caught those sauger back in jan, he has been wanting to go. to make it even better, i called my dad last night to see if he would like to go too. im glad he said yes! its been a long time since we all fished in the same boat, and i was excited bc it was my turn to put them on fish! the plan, was to sauger fish below old hickory dam. but plan b was to white bass and striper fish if the sauger didnt bite. plan c was to loc back through and go after some crappie on the lake side. well me and dad met paw paw at the bait shop to get minnows at 6:45. got to the ramp and loaded boat around 7:15. we locked through and started fishing around 7:45. water temp was 45.7 degrees. we started suager fishing all the spots and holes i new of and only managed to get 4 bites, with no fish. i could tell dad and paw paw was getting discourage, so i had to do something. it was now 10:00am and they havent even seen a fish. so i tell them we are going to plan b. so we make a little run to a spot that has been good to me, i tie baits on for both of them and bam! first cast for both of them, they brougt in some nice white bass! cast after cast they kept bringing them in. the smiles broke out and i was happy as can be. they were there and dad and paw paw was having a blast. we caught about 100 or more white bass, a dad caught a big carp and big drum. i decided to give paw paw a different bait and told him to fish off a drop for a striper bc the shad was so thick. and guys i couldn't believe it, he hung a big striper! it weighed 24 pounds on the scale i got, and its been a long time since i have seen him that happy! it took 10 mins to land him on 8lb test line. wow what a trip! the lord is good guys, a trip i will never forget! we called it day after that and headed in. it was 1:00pm when i loaded the boat up!

having problems with pics, coming soon.

Jim
02-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Awesome trip! Glad it came together for you and you family. That is how it is suppose to be.

whrizob
02-19-2011, 09:17 PM
"http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k539/whrizob/2-19-11pawpaw.jpg"

"http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k539/whrizob/pawpaw02-19-11.jpg"

"http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k539/whrizob/02-19-11dadcarp.jpg"

"http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k539/whrizob/me02-19-11.jpg"

"http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k539/whrizob/whitebass02-19-11.jpg"

did take some home to eat! guys i cant figure out how to get them loaded. ?

whrizob
02-19-2011, 09:23 PM
thanks mr jim! it was special!

Fishaholic
02-19-2011, 11:51 PM
That's awesome man take advantage of those family trips because those opportunities will vanish before you know it.

tsuggs
02-20-2011, 07:24 AM
whats yer fav go to bait fer those white bass?

Dakota
02-20-2011, 07:21 PM
I caught white bass, but are they any good to eat??

Reel Tune
02-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Thanks for sharing, and great report.

whrizob
02-21-2011, 10:35 AM
whats yer fav go to bait fer those white bass?

i dont really have a favorite. we caught them on several different baits. from rooster tales, to white hair jigs. i like the chartuse hair jig, with curly tail grub. i can swin it, or jig it. does real well for me. but paw paw wore them out a 3/8 once rooster tail. dad on a white hair jig.

clean air
02-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Whites are good to eat but I like to cut out the red meat.I dont keep the smaller ones because if you cut the red out theres not much left and I dont like wasting time cleaning small one for a bite of meat.I keep them when they are around 15 inches.That is the best eating size that I've found.They fillet good at that size and there is enough meat left after you cut the red out that its worth messing with.

jebtcop
02-21-2011, 07:55 PM
What a great trip! It's awesome when you can come through for a family member and put them on that kind of action. My dad isn't really into fishing. It's a shame, because my parents live across the street from Boone Lake, in East TN. I convinced him to go with me once, when I was visiting. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get anything going for him, as I am not familiar with that lake at all. I have a feeling that if he the kind of trip you had, he'd be pretty excited and would want to go again. Maybe I'll take him on a guided trip for a birthday present...

TNtransplant08
02-22-2011, 07:26 AM
Anyone by any chance know why the release schedule has not been updated since last wednesday on the TVA website?

whrizob
02-22-2011, 09:26 AM
call 615-824-7766. its the fishing hot line for old hickory. it has all that info and its a recording they do everyday. so you dont have to talk to anyone, you just call and listen.

TNtransplant08
02-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Thanks Whrizob!

Fishaholic
02-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Thanks I just added that to my speed dial LOL