PDA

View Full Version : Lake current and more fish species

Jim
02-17-2011, 10:45 PM
As a follow up to the discharge vs. bass catching thread, I ran a bunch more species comparing TWRA creel survey catch data against flow conditions for Old Hickory. See what you think.....

Crappie: Moderate flow in the main channel in all season is best, but lower flow is also good during the spawn. Little pattern with rising or falling water, but stable is generally the best in all seasons.

Striped bass: Low flow in the winter, moderate to high flows are best the rest of the year. Generally best catches are on stable or falling water, rising water is the worst.

Catfish: high flows are best year around with very high flows best in the summer. Stable flows are the worst, no difference between rising or falling, but both are good.

White and yellow bass: Moderate flows are the best with very low and very high flows the worst. Stable water levels are better than rising or falling water.

Sunfish: No real pattern with flow rate or level. Seem to bite in most all conditions.

Make any sense?
Jim

whrizob
02-18-2011, 09:40 AM
the only thing i disagree on mr. jim is the white and yellow bass. i have found, just from experince, that any high current flow places are key in catching these fish. especially when its hot. i like discharges or run offs. and on the river, i like creek coming into the main river current. the rest i agree with, but those white and yellow bass seemed to like current. i even have stripers hit deep cranks in the summer time when i ledge fishing in strong current. i have also found that when they do this, the bass bite turns on too. cant say why, but if i start catching stripe; then i expect to start catching bass on these deep ledges and drops. i believe i catch both due that both schools are on a school of bait fish. but that is just my opinion. not sure if there is any fact to that.