PDA

View Full Version : GPS Coordinates online

Travis C.
02-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Does anyone know how accurate finding a coordinate on say google maps then putting it into you gps is? I know it can give you a precise lon/lat but I wonder how close that is to actually where you put that mark with the cursor.

I am playing with a gps and fishing places but I was going to take some from one of the yahoo or google maps if they were close then put them on my gps to try and find.

Reel Tune
02-12-2011, 07:19 PM
I've been using Google Maps for fishing for about a year now, and I have found it to be very accurate.

Buccaneer
02-12-2011, 09:40 PM
I find this site to be very accurate, Lattitude and Longitude of a Point - http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html

Jim
02-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Google earth is very good also. But you have to make sure your projection (map coordinate system) is the same between the map and your unit. If not it can be way off. If both are in decimal degrees it is usually right on.

Travis C.
02-14-2011, 11:28 PM
Thanks guys for the help.

I had an older Nuvi (2008) that wasn't getting any use. Well it is now stocked with sturcture waypoints both from maps and my memory to certain places. I am going to test it out on Sunday. All I will do is switch navigation modes then means of travel and it should work like a handheld but with a bigger colored screen.

One of these days I will need to get a sonar/gps combo but this will work for now mounted on the console next to my sonar. Pus I can detach and take it to the trolling motor if need be.

We'll see how it works...gotta save a little time.