PDA

View Full Version : Structure Scan

aero320
02-07-2011, 06:33 AM
I put the Lowrance Structure Scan on boat right after Christmas. Anyone figured out how to locate fish and catch them with this technology?

Travis C.
02-07-2011, 09:58 AM
I think you may have to take several of us fishing before you get the hang of using it. :D

What all you wanting to get out of it? I guess I mean what type of fishing you do? I can probably help out some.

whrizob
02-08-2011, 09:32 AM
man, we have had the humingbird for 3 years now. the side imaging takes a little bit to get use to. but with the down scan, it makes that easier! it would be hard to tell you on here what to look for. better to show hands on. and if you dont fish deep, you really dont need it. i ledge fish alot once it warms up and it is awesome!

Jim
02-08-2011, 10:54 AM
I have had the Hummingbird side scan for the last 3 years like Whrizob. I also use the high $ professional versions at work. The side scan is amazing and almost as good as a $50,000 unit of 5 years ago. Most of the different is in the software to post-process the information.

Personally, I like the side scan better than the down scan. Some of my preference is probably familiarity as I have used the side scan images for quite a while and understand what I am seeing better. But I also like to "scout" a big area with the side scan to try and find which areas hold the most fish. Then I go in and fish the best area like normal. You definitely can catch fish you see, but like any fish finder, you are only seeing a portion of the fish in an area. So if you find a good area, fish it throughly. It adds a lot of confidence to know you are "on" fish. You still have to figure out how to catch them. Right bait, speed, depth, color, etc.

The other key I use it for is to find the shad schools. Side scan shows them great. If I find the shad, I usually find some predators. Granted it is not always bass, but I fish for catfish, striper, crappie, as well as bass so it doesn't really matter which one is biting for me to be happy.

Bottomline - Side scan and down scan are a great improvement to finding fish and fish holding structure. They will take some practice to understand how it all works.

If you ever want a partner for a trip, let me know. I would be glad to show you the hummingbird and I would like to see the Lowrance in action. I have heard the Lowrance's are pretty sweet.

Good Luck,
Jim

Travis C.
02-08-2011, 11:23 AM
For me when I was selling them the best feature by far was the ability to mark offshore structure easily with out disturbing the school. If you are a ledge fishermen this is very valuable. You can cruise about 5mph along and throw waypoints at potential areas then go back and fish exact spots. When the fish bunch up post spawn into summer patterns this could be in a place the size of your boat deck out in the middle of a bay or main channel. So you can see how much that could factor into helping you by setting the distance out on the unit then charting those fish without wasting time.

The other real key with the downshot and detail overall is helping to find those fish after a big cold front pushes through and bass a lot of the time lay right on the bottom. Sometimes you will catch one not knowing that and wonder why his belly has mud on it. You can pick those areas up as well. It is all about narrowing the lake down and this is a great tool in your favor.

Also like Jim said, picking up the bait schools is really easy on these units and can help greatly.

You just have to read up on the manual as to what all it can do and then apply it on the water. It will take time....on the water time to get used to reading it like you would read the others.

After you have it down you will wonder how you caught fish at all with the old ones.

3 Numbers
02-10-2011, 01:15 PM
+1 Travis... do ya use it on Dale Hollow?