PDA

View Full Version : Got bored with some old rapalas

Travis C.
02-06-2011, 09:03 PM
I don't own a sexy shad bait. Mostly that is because of the three rubbermaid tubs of crankbaits in the garage (not joking). So, I decided to make one and see how well that color is.

Before.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/MrCarney1979/IMG_8416.jpg

After:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/MrCarney1979/IMG_8413.jpg

It is not exact but close enough.

The wonders you can do with a highlighter and clearcoat. :D

eaglestrike09
02-07-2011, 05:38 AM
Looks nice! Three tubs huh?

Travis C.
02-07-2011, 07:40 AM
Looks nice! Three tubs huh?

Thanks!

Yeah that is why I don't really buy anything new unless it is really incredible. I'd love to have a box of red eye shads but the boxes of spots and rattletraps kinda are in the way. Grandad used to like buying stuff as much as me before he passed then it all came to me. It is the same way with rods and reels. It is nice to have but sucks as I can't really justify buying anything new and has been that way for years. All I ever buy new is line or a few plastics.

The bottom bin has a few boxes of plastics but those are the only things I do buy relatively often since most are scented and they did not have chigger craws back then. The rest are all crankbaits of all sorts/brands. I have my own actual bag I of boxes I fish from...these are spare :D

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/MrCarney1979/IMG_8417.jpg

riverrat09
02-07-2011, 03:26 PM
How do you decide which lures to take fishing.:D

Jim
02-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Nice stock of lures Travis!

I was the same way but then some years ago I decided that I could not buy new ones until the old ones were used up. So I would go fishing and not worry about snagging or losing lures. My catch rate went way up because I tried to cast into places I would never cast before. I did lose some lures, but I am still working on my stock.

I also like the paint job. That is definitely a wintertime task :)

Hope you get an excuse to use some of those lures soon.

Jim

Travis C.
02-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Thanks Jim,

I only ended up doing one as a demo for that color. We shall see. Unfortunately, my lake excursion yesterday was held up by a couple sick kids and a sick wife. I have bumped it out a few weekends. Maybe it will get a little warming trend between now and then.

I am the same way about chucking them into cover. Especially since there are a few of each in each color. There is one set that is not that way. They are my Rebel Deep Teeny-R's in brown crawfish/orange belly. Those aren't in production anymore and in my personal opinion the absolute best crankbait ever made. I have caught and lost so many big fish on them it ain't funny. At maybe 2" or a little less with a tight wobble diving to around 8ft or so makes them a killer craw pattern. I have bought every one I have came upon since they discontinued the color. There is technically a way to get them but you have to buy a whole batch of 3,000 at a time.

riverrat09, I am probably like all fishermen. There are maybe a dozen or so that I have confidence and use more frequently than the others. The rest are "just incase" taking up space in the bag. I will mix in a few colors, sizes, wobble types and rattle or nots in with my ole faithfuls.

whrizob
02-08-2011, 09:29 AM
what time you open your store up? i would like to come buy some! :D

Fishmanjoe
02-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Yeah, I am with whrizob.

Travis C.
02-08-2011, 12:21 PM

I already done that for a friend who had his everything in his boat stolen. He parted with two tackle boxes of lures, 8 rods (4 with garcia 4600 & black max baitcasters) plus some spinning rods and other misc stuff.

He was back fishing the next weekend.

Travis C.
02-08-2011, 12:22 PM

Store is closed for you. :D

whrizob
02-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Store is closed for you. :D

lol! i have friends that can shop for me!!!!!!!:)