PDA

View Full Version : threadfin swarm

whyit21
01-31-2011, 09:38 PM
So just went cruising Sunday looking for some springtime crappie hotspots. Using my latest addiction (Humminbird Side Scan), I found a cloud near a channel ledge on Drakes. It was at least 30 yards long and 8ft from top to bottom. Threw out the cast net for fun. Pulled in nearly 1000 threadfins on one toss.

Got me to thinking . . . will crappie hit threadfins? I have to think that they would since that is a major part of the natural forage w/in OH. So that begs the question, has anyone caught papermouths on a regular old OH threadfin? If not I'll be wearing out the rattletrap next time I find 'em.

dannys07
01-31-2011, 09:55 PM
So just went cruising Sunday looking for some springtime crappie hotspots. Using my latest addiction (Humminbird Side Scan), I found a cloud near a channel ledge on Drakes. It was at least 30 yards long and 8ft from top to bottom. Threw out the cast net for fun. Pulled in nearly 1000 threadfins on one toss.

Got me to thinking . . . will crappie hit threadfins? I have to think that they would since that is a major part of the natural forage w/in OH. So that begs the question, has anyone caught papermouths on a regular old OH threadfin? If not I'll be wearing out the rattletrap next time I find 'em.

Don't know of crappie would hit one but if you cut them into pieces the bluegill will tear them up found some floating picked them up made a little cut bait and caught well over 200 on sat and sun kept 103 made a nice mess got a gallon bag of filets was the first time I used them for bait for bluegill.

Jim
01-31-2011, 10:10 PM
I use cast netted threadfin almost all year long on Old Hickory. They catch everything. My problem with threadfin for crappie is when they are small, they die really easily and about the time they get strong enough to swim well with hook, they are a little big for crappie. Not that you can't catch crappie on them, but it selects for the biggest crappie. Nice to catch, but numbers are way down compared to typical small crappie minnows.

I have a side scan also and those big shad schools are key to finding most game fish for me. Figure out the depth, structure, and area of the creek the threadfin are in and then focus on typical structure that intersects with it. Great for bass and catfish. You don't have to fish right in the shad school all the time. But sometimes it is crazy how many fish are right with the schools of shad. Carolina rig the shad or vertical fish them if it is deep enough. You can catch almost any species back to back.

Good Luck,
Jim