PDA

View Full Version : Where to go?

Travis C.
01-31-2011, 09:15 AM
If the weather holds on Sunday for a nice and not too cold day I am going to take dad out for a little while.

Any suggestions as to where would be a possible good trip. I am thinking maybe the warm water around the Steam Plant or maybe using live craws/shiners on the lower end of Old Hickory.

robhal11
01-31-2011, 11:02 AM
This was my first outing(Saturday) to the steam plant by myself, have been with a good friend a few times. Caught hugh skip jack for bait but no good on the stripers. Boats were everywhere. Saw one guy catch 2 in about 3 hours he said they were about 25lbs each. Other than that I did not see anyone catch anything other than skip jack. I was a beautiful day though. I will try again during the week when there is not so much boat traffic.

Travis C.
01-31-2011, 12:01 PM
As much as I want to go up there, I am just not sold on all the traffic. I am thinking may be better off downstream floating live bait around rocks on the north banks considering it will be sunny and 48 as of right now.

Reel Tune
01-31-2011, 03:36 PM
Travis,

The only time I go to the plant is during the week, and at night. I hardly ever see anyone out there. It's best when the temps dip down into the teens or 20's like this wednesday it seems like there are a lot of fair weather fishermen around here:D

Jeremy

Travis C.
01-31-2011, 04:35 PM
So based on the response so far no one seems to be fishing downstream any.

clean air
01-31-2011, 05:47 PM
I have marked some huge fish down river from the plant.I found 2 places that had fish all over them.It looked good on the graph but not a bite.Couldnt get a hit on shad or skips.If I go back on a weekend I will go down river.I dont think you catch that much on weekends with tons of boats moving from the boils to the mouth back to the boils.

Buccaneer
01-31-2011, 06:53 PM
After my pathetic showing this past Sunday, I would lock through the dam and go down river. At least you have a shot at a decent smallie and of course if the flow is not too bad you can find some good action in the tailwater. I did lots of verticle jigging Sunday over a number of points, creek bends and structure and all I could get action on was yellow and white bass. It was fun, but no green fish.