PDA

View Full Version : Below Cheatham Dam

eaglestrike09
01-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Today Me, Keith and his Dad went Stripe fishing below Cheatham Dam.
It rained all day and the water level was low, the fishing was slow.
We were throwing Roadrunner jigs with grubs or littl fishies. We put in about 8 am , about 9am we caught some Drums, a few minutes later we
started catching Gar. about 10 am Keiths Dad caught a 6.5 pound Rock
fish then I caught a Rock fish and a Spotted Bass. Then Keith caught
a 7 pound Rock fish, we caught about 15 Stripers between us. About
noon I caught the first Stripe, or White Bass then we caught about a dozen between us
and I caught a nice Smallie. Then they shut the generator off and no current, no fish, we kept trying for a few hours but no bite at all, about
3pm we loaded up the boat went home.

bd-
01-26-2011, 10:54 AM
No pictures of the drum and gar??? :)

Sounds like you guys had a pretty good day. Cheatham tailwater is a good fishery that doesn't get much attention.

bd

erockhaus
01-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Nice fish, you really stuck it out on a pretty nasty day, bet you had it all to yourself though.
I have been wanting to fish below Cheatham dam for awhile, I have fished quite a bit above the dam. Do you reccommend just putting in right below the dam and drifting from there or is it better to motor up closer to the dam and then start your drift? I haven't done much fishing below dams so I'm just looking for a little advice and want to keep it safe as well. Thanks.

fishfindergeneral
01-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Nice smallie, I use to fish there a lot. Big stripers and sauger mostly....

whrizob
01-26-2011, 12:44 PM
awesome! nothing better than a good fishing trip! congrats!

eaglestrike09
01-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Yes I thought we had a wonderful trip, but Keith and his Dad kept saying
that we should of caught a whole lot more Stripe. No pics of the Drum,
Gar or Buffalo, they never left the water. We put in at the ramp below
the Dam and drifted down to the barge tie ups and started fishing from
there. It was a ways down river before we got into the drum and gar, then a little bit further before the Rock fish started biting. This was my second trip, the last time me and Keith were there we caught 40 stripe, but that was at the beginning of the
month after the last big rain and the water was up about ten more feet!