PDA

View Full Version : fishing report 01-15-11

whrizob
01-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Hey guys, i know this almost a week late; but i figured i would tell ya'll anyway. Last sat we decided to take another trip to fish the cumberland river. I was fishing with a buddy of mine, brandon rickman. Lead singer of the lonesome river band. Ya'll should check his cd out. Its really good. Ok back to the report. We decided to do something a little different this time. Brandon loves to fish fast. He doesnt like to slow down to fish unless he has to, so we decided to try to catch some white bass to eat instead of sauger. Man did we have a blast. We ended up catching probably 40 white bass and took home 19. I have to admit, this is the first time i ate them; and they are a very tasty fish. I believe by far, pound for pound, they are the hardest fighting fish! Except for maybe a smallmouth. Which gets me to the next part. As ya'll all know i love to bass fish and brandon does too, so we decided to try to catch a couple. We did not spend much time bass fishing, but did manage to catch a few. Brandon caught a 19 3/4 inch smallie weighing about 4 to 4 1/2 pounds! Another great trip and another great day! I will post pics later today!

whrizob
01-21-2011, 11:25 AM
http://i52.tinypic.com/29b2e50.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/291zzog.jpg

Travis C.
01-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Hmm, those rocks look familiar... I bet I know where you were. :p

Buccaneer
01-21-2011, 01:47 PM
OK Whiz, new rule for posting after you have hammered them and provided the pictures. No need to divulge specific location, but depth & depth features (such as channel ledge, outside bend, inside bend) lure(s)/bait, technique, water temp, structure type (rocks, wood, etc...). These would be extremely helpful insights to me because I fish down there a lot and tend to pick up my larger smallies anywhere from OH Bridge to Mill Creek. The problem is that a "pattern" is hard to develop (for me anyway). Hearing how and what you used would confirm that I am either blind & lucky or in fact I am on to something.

Travis C.
01-21-2011, 02:08 PM
These would be extremely helpful insights to me because I fish down there a lot and tend to pick up my larger smallies anywhere from OH Bridge to Mill Creek. The problem is that a "pattern" is hard to develop (for me anyway)

Those bronze backs are tough to figure out down there but you can get a read on them. My personal best came from the river not too far from where I suspect they are fishing. My fish was 22.5" long but no scale.

You can beat the banks all along the river and catch small ones but you may want to back up off them a little. You are probably just fishing too close.

whrizob
01-21-2011, 03:04 PM
OK Whiz, new rule for posting after you have hammered them and provided the pictures. No need to divulge specific location, but depth & depth features (such as channel ledge, outside bend, inside bend) lure(s)/bait, technique, water temp, structure type (rocks, wood, etc...). These would be extremely helpful insights to me because I fish down there a lot and tend to pick up my larger smallies anywhere from OH Bridge to Mill Creek. The problem is that a "pattern" is hard to develop (for me anyway). Hearing how and what you used would confirm that I am either blind & lucky or in fact I am on to something.

buc, i usually give better details than that. but only other thing i can tell you is to look for current break. that seemed to be key. plus the big smallie brandon caught was spitting up shad. so i dont be one demintional and throw only craw imitaions. key is to still fish slow. this is winter! dont expect alot of bites. dont cover alot of water, instead cover the same water alot! all i got for you!:D

ConverterMan
01-24-2011, 01:09 PM
has anyone had any luck on the Cumberland , Catching sauger ? I went but could not get on them very well . Just caught a few , small ones . Does anyone know where they are . And what the generation is going to be the next couple of days . Thanks for any advice .

whrizob
01-24-2011, 02:19 PM
i hate to give this number out! lol! but here you go, 615-824-7766 it oh lake lake reports fishing hotline!

fishfindergeneral
01-24-2011, 04:10 PM
Sweet smallie Dude, well done. Dave

whrizob
01-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Sweet smallie Dude, well done. Dave

thanks dave! your 22 incher was really nice! i have nevered trolled for them? whats the catch rate doing that?

fishfindergeneral
01-25-2011, 05:58 PM
In the spring and summer into the fall we get 8 or 10 a day on average, most between 19 and 21 inches and had many days with 20 plus smallies mixed in with other species.... we had two this year over 23 in. The winter is a little slower, full of home runs and strike outs.(On Dale,since we have the slot for smallies, most people measure rather than weigh. Though if a fish is heavy we'll put her on the scales. That one went just over 5 lbs.

Travis C.
01-25-2011, 08:32 PM
Dave, I know you drive over it to get to Dale but do you ever troll Percy any?

fishfindergeneral
01-26-2011, 10:39 AM
Hey Travis, it's been a long time since i've fished anywhere but Dale. I have fished Percy a ton but when I desided to start this venture..... Dale is so different than any other body of water in the south. I Don't think anything I could learn on Percy could help me with my endeavor. Not to say that it does not have anything to give. I have many great memories there. I caught my first crappy there when I was 10 yrs old. I use to get my folks to drop me on the bank while they skied so I could catch blue gill and red eyes with a roosster tail.....