PDA

View Full Version : catfish on old hickory

master_cat
01-11-2011, 11:12 PM
hey guys new here wonderin if anyone knows a good area on old hickory to catch some bluecats at any help is great thanks guys

bd-
01-12-2011, 12:52 PM
I have caught some smaller ones around the point at the end of Lock 4 Road, where Station Camp Creek hits the main lake. Decent fishing for channel cats there too. It's all "eater" size catfish though. The only really big blue cats I have caught have been further downriver in the vicinity of Clarksville.

bd

Travis C.
01-12-2011, 01:14 PM
I have never caught many bigger blues on Old Hickory Lake. I have seen them one night surfacing through a school of baitfish around Dupont area. That is the only way I know they're in there. We thought they are striper until we got a good eye on one. If I was to try looking for them on the lakeside. I would start either infront Station Camp creek and down by Rockland fishing cutbait around the flooded locks. Both are in the main channel and would provide food source plus ambush points.

The bigger blues we used to chase were down around Cumberland City. We would put in there and head down stream. There are some monsters in that stretch and right now is when we used to go this month/next.

Use big game rods, over 50lb line, 8/0 or bigger hooks and fresh cut skipjack.

Fish Whisperer
01-12-2011, 05:26 PM
I've caught a bunch of em below OH dam while sauger fishin.... It seems to me they like a lot of current..

scaledown62
01-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Basspro catbuster 10 ft rod, 7 foot shakespeare, each w/spinning reels, braided line, circle hooks; assorted tackle, lures, etc.

clean air
01-14-2011, 08:26 PM
I would think the river channel from the steamplant down river to where the water starts to get cold would hold some big blues this time of year.Just look for them on the bottom around any structure you can find.They should be in that area eating shad like everything else is.