PDA

View Full Version : I'm in need of some Duck River encouragement

i12fish
01-07-2011, 11:35 PM
I haven't fished the Duck a lot but I live right by it in the Chapel Hill area and I have canoe'd down it a couple times... I haven't had much luck on the times that I have fished it and I really haven't heard many people "talking it up" as a good fishing destination... has anybody done any good smallmouth fishing on the Duck?? I can't believe that such a beautiful river that appears to be so lightly fished wouldn't hold some monsters.

Reel Tune
01-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Sorry there are no fish in the Duck River. There were several smallmouth that we hooked up with that would have went, around 19-20", so there are quality fish on the Duck the one pictured is 18 3/4". One thing I saw that really disapointed me was seeing 2 middle aged men in a jon boat pulling 10-12 largemouth, smallmouth, and spots on a stringer all quality fish over 16". We are catch, and release anglers and want to see our waterways strive. If you are looking for a meal go catch some crappie, and blue gill they are much better eating. It takes a lot of homework to find fish, we scouted a local river for 7hrs today, and I spend about 25hrs a week doing research.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_dMIFX6GRza4/TKkVrLyC_GI/AAAAAAAAF_U/mv3yU3riV8U/s512/TN%20River%20Bassin%20Rodeo%20020.JPG
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_dMIFX6GRza4/TKkWLDy_RBI/AAAAAAAAF6M/8nquj0JC7H8/s640/TN%20River%20Bassin%20Rodeo%20035.JPG
Jeremy

i12fish
01-08-2011, 11:18 PM
thanks for the reply and the pix... those were pretty big "non-existent" fish... :)

looks like they're in there but I just have to figure out the hot spots..

I generally enjoy river fishing because I can go to an unknown stream and kinda know where to start fishing. Unlike a lake, you can read a river.. sounds like I'll have to do my homework, though, if I want to tackle this one...

I read one of your other posts and I think I remember that you said that the best fishing on the Duck was between Shelbyville and Chapel Hill.... I'm not trying to uncover your secret fishing hole or anything but is that where you caught those???

clean air
01-10-2011, 05:56 PM
The whole thing must be good cause we do good on our part.I need to try out yak fishing.

i12fish
01-15-2011, 11:36 PM
I just got this a few months back... I used to have a float tube (which left a lot to be desired). I was looking at the one man "toons" - one guy wrote about the "toons" said that he was afraid that he would be dropping things all the time and I thought that with my luck that is exactly what would happen... coffee mug, fishing rod, tackle box, you name it...:) and then I found this...

I wouldn't win any speed contests especially going up stream but it sure is sweet floating down a river and it can turn on a dime.... more of a "sit and spin"... I plan on getting a trolling motor for it soon... if anyone is selling theirs at a decent price then give me a holler..

this is a photo from off of the website.....

Reel Tune
01-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Nice ride. Perfect for the rivers.