PDA

View Full Version : Handheld GPS and Scrap Aluminum for Jon Boat Floor

goreds.king
01-07-2011, 09:33 AM
I have two questions for this post.

First, I’m looking to put a small deck on my jon boat. I would like to use aluminum for the flooring and I’ve read that old discarded road signs are perfect. Does anyone know where I can pick up a few?

Second, I’m looking to purchase a handheld GPS with some Christmas money. I will use it to navigate around lakes and mark waypoints. I prefer a handheld because I will also use it when I go trail riding on my ATV. Any suggestions?

I appreciate any input you guys can provide.

Travis C.
01-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Second, I’m looking to purchase a handheld GPS with some Christmas money. I will use it to navigate around lakes and mark waypoints. I prefer a handheld because I will also use it when I go trail riding on my ATV. Any suggestions?

I appreciate any input you guys can provide.

They Garmin’s are good and it is hard to beat the Rhino or 60Cxs series I believe those are the models are due to the external antenna pick up. Those are what the military/police use when they have one.

But…

You really need to take a look at these units. They really hit the market pretty good last year. They have way more channel pick up that any others out there and that translates to few if any dropped signals.

http://delorme.com/ (http://delorme.com/)

The added benefit is the mapping. It is better and more easily obtained than Garmin. Plus for the fisherman, it is the only one that you can use a Navionics chip in.

What most don’t know about Garmin is they buy their map software from the cheapest bidder and it is more times than not unverified.

I used to sell GPS units and if you have any other question just let me know.

jaycee
01-08-2011, 01:02 PM
The delorme unit looks like a nice updated technolgy. I have the Garmin map 76. Have used it for about 7 years. and have gotten my moneys worth with free upgrades.

I will look at the 60cxs and also the Delorme unit next time. What is the cost of the Delorme?

Travis C.
01-09-2011, 02:55 PM
http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=30536&section=10461

$299.99 is the intro model. When I say intro, it doesn't mean it is weak. It just has a few less bells n whistles than the higher two. Unless you need a barametric altimeter or SPOT on the unit, this will do. It comes with topo, streets, and another then for $29.95 a year you can download all the lakes, satelite over lay like google earth and drop a Navionics chip in there.

Most are $99 for the topo maps or lakes or whichever added software.

Travis C.
01-12-2011, 09:07 AM
I have two questions for this post.

First, I’m looking to put a small deck on my jon boat. I would like to use aluminum for the flooring and I’ve read that old discarded road signs are perfect. Does anyone know where I can pick up a few?

Sorry Goreds, call it brain freeze but I just realized your other question.

When we built up my old jon putting a deck w/storage then added bench storage and a floor. I know you are wanting to probably keep it light. If you used thin guage alum it will flex and once it stretches it won't shrink back. We did our out of wood and fiberglassed it to be able to hold up under stress. Especially if you eventually add a seat on the deck later.

If you are just looking for a floor to cover beams I guess road signs will work too and you could maybe call TDOT. You can rivet them to the beams but I wouldn't want something that thin as a deck.

ducksnjeeps
01-15-2011, 08:32 AM
You can buy aluminum sheet at RD Herbert in Nashville. They will shear it or break it to your specs. You will have to buy it but I have found them reasonable when buying fabbed sheetmetal for may construction projects