PDA

View Full Version : Center Hill Float n Fly Help

Turkeyhunter_2008
01-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Hey y'all, been reading your forums for a while and just now joined. Great info on here. Planning on going to Center Hill again this Sunday and I'm looking for a little more info on where/how to fish float n fly. I have fished down there off and on since I was a kid but just really getting back into it this year. The float n fly is new to me. Only fished it one time earlier in the year just trying to learn how to cast it. I will probably put in at Floating Mill but I'm open to any areas of the lake if anybody has any suggestions on chasing Smallmouths or Kentuckys. Thanks for any help.

Travis C.
01-05-2011, 01:00 PM
I would fish it around bluffs and rock points near the channels. Fish can move vertically up to feed when holding on bluffs in the winter and use less energy. Sometimes baitfish will hold around them too thinking its protection when it is actually a barrier for the predators to pin them against.

I personally never fished them much. But when I had it was using a three way swivel one loop to my reel, one loop to the small hair jig and the other loop a bobber clipped onto it. The goal was to try and give the jig movement without moving the float.

It is pretty effective but its a slow game. I would much rather free line a live minnow with a split shot in the winter.

Turkeyhunter_2008
01-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Thanks Travis. Iv got the basics down on how to rig it and cast it pretty good. I hav a few main lake points and channel bluffs in mind that I generally catch fish off that I'm gonna try it on. Probably take some shiners with me to try also. Either way, any day on the Hill is a good day. Lol