PDA

View Full Version : whats ya'lls definition of a channel break on a lake?

whrizob
01-04-2011, 08:42 PM
just curiuos how ya'll define it? give examples if you can. writing a story and trying to figure out how to word it and explain it! thanks, guys and gals if any are on here! :)

Travis C.
01-05-2011, 09:40 AM
I could be wrong on the lingo but I have always thought about it this way:

A channel break to me was the first major depth change leading off into the channel. You know there could be ledges on that channel break but the first place where it heads off into that channel would be it or at least what I have always thought of it.

Like at the mouth of Rockland where drops off into the main channel. Where it starts that drop is what I call a break.

Someone else may know better than me though.

whrizob
01-05-2011, 10:02 AM
so like where points and even flats fall off into a channel, causing it to bend or break? keeping the river or channel from running strait or interupted? could be underwater or right off the bank.? any where it interupts the channel! could be a creek channel or a river channel!? it could even be a hump that causes the channel to break!? am on the right track? hows that sound

Travis C.
01-05-2011, 10:13 AM
If you are using my thinking on it then you are kind a on the same track. Whatever creek or river channel you have in mind picture yourself standing in the bottom. If you were to climb out of it, the point when you reached the top would be the break or at least my thinkin on what a break is.

Travis C.
01-05-2011, 10:19 AM
so like where points and even flats fall off into a channel, causing it to bend or break? keeping the river or channel from running strait or interupted? could be underwater or right off the bank.? any where it interupts the channel! could be a creek channel or a river channel!? it could even be a hump that causes the channel to break!? am on the right track? hows that sound

I think in some of these descriptions you are talking about current break. dealing with water flow.

They could be the same but my thinking is a current break would be an obstruction like a hump or boulder or point running out into the flow causing slack current.

whrizob
01-05-2011, 10:27 AM
i believe your right. everything i said is a current break? not sure how to explain this one.?

whrizob
01-05-2011, 03:01 PM
channel break- any endition, cut, or "break" in a creek or river channel. can be a ditch, old pond, or even a low spot causing the channel's "form" to change. you can find channel breaks on the bottom, side, or top of a ledge, flats, points or humps.

current break- anything that "breaks" the current from flowing evenly without interruption. usually "raised of the bottom. ex like point, rock piles, humps, or flats. barge buoys and bridge pilings can also cause current break.

thanks for any input! travis what you think?

Travis C.
01-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Maybe this will help.

http://www.ebassin.com/fishingtips/DeepWaterBass.html

It seems that "break" is one those potato, patata and tater words. It might have several other names but mean about the same thing.

From reading this link it looks like they refer to break as a depth change.

Travis C.
01-05-2011, 03:41 PM
This should have been asked several posts ago......

What the heck you doin? :D

whrizob
01-05-2011, 05:37 PM
im writing a article for a magazine. but you say depth change, thats kinda what i mean. i will look at that link when i get home. cant right now at work! lol!

whrizob
01-05-2011, 05:41 PM
This should have been asked several posts ago......

What the heck you doin? :D

but yeah i think alot of people are confused about what they mean. yet people use the words all the time! so its hard for people to really understand what someone is talking about. especially if you giving tips, like i am in this article. im going to stick with how i worded it. people should understand what it means to me. thanks travis for the help. i wanted to see if my defintion of what they are matched what someone elses did. thats why i will use examples when i write it. thanks again!

whrizob
01-05-2011, 05:46 PM
hey this is what one guy said! what you think?

A channel break is an abrupt depth change where a river or creek bed originally existed before it was flooded. It is the most distinct and best form of structure where it is a sudden depth change.

Think of it like this.....you have a creek behind your house and know what the actual creek bank is where high water has eroded it over the years because you can see it. Now imagine a beaver building a dam downstream causing the water to back up upstream of it and flooding the field or yard behind your house. That creek bank is now totally underwater and water has spread many yards past it into the field. That once actual creek bank is your channel break, you just can't visually see it. This is what happens in our lakes when they are dammed up.

Jim
01-05-2011, 08:59 PM
I would agree with the last one.

A channel break in a lake does not usually exist unless it is a naturally dammed lake, reservoir, or there are dredged passes. Usually a channel break is associated with a reservoir. The channel break is the drop into the old flooded creek bed. It does not need to be a bend or anything exciting, but for fishing, usually you try to find the channel break along with a bend, point, creek mouth. Multiple different structures in one location are usually better to concentrate fish than one continuous type. Add cover to the multiple structures and you have a good spot.

My two cents. Take it or leave it :)

Jim

whrizob
01-06-2011, 09:27 AM
thanks mr jim! sounds pretty good!