PDA

View Full Version : Old Hickory Dam 1/3/11

TNtransplant08
01-03-2011, 02:07 PM
I decided to take a trip to below OH Dam on my last day of christmas vacation. Boy I'm sure glad I went! When I arrived, it was cold and foggy, so the bite was pretty slow. But once the fog cleared and the sun came out, it got hot for about 2 hours. There was a bounty of big, meaty white bass (13-14 inch average). I lost count of how many I caught. As a bonus, I caught a nice 22 inch walleye. It sure will make a great dinner tonight! All was caught on 1/4 oz jig with either a white mini fluke or 3" slider bounced in the current.

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z431/jameyer2008/Walleye.jpg

whrizob
01-03-2011, 03:32 PM
was there black spots on the dorsal fin? hard to tell in pic? was wondering if it was a walleye or big suager? either way great job and congrats!

GO-OKFISHIN
01-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Nice! What side of the dam you fishing on?

TNtransplant08
01-03-2011, 06:04 PM
Thanks guys! I was pretty happy with my day. I've had about a week and half off for christmas and fished just about every day without much luck, so its a great way to end it!

Whrizbob-To be honest with you, I didn't look at the dorsal fin for black spots. I called it a walleye because it did not have the large dark blotches over the body typical of saugers and there was a white spot at the tip of the bottom tail fin thats usually found on walleyes. But it sure tasted great for dinner!

Gookfishin-I was fishing on the Hendersonville side of the dam. I have to admit this one is more of an "accident" though I'd like to be able to catch them on a regular basis. I plan on heading to BPS to purchase some lures for these guys.

whrizob
01-03-2011, 07:22 PM
well man, i blew the picture up and emailed it to some friends! they all say saugeye! see the white belly, thats how you know its not a walleye. it has the white tipped tail like the walleye and the dorsel fin is big and full like the walleye; but markings like a sauger. anf that belly gives it away! nice job and i love my mojo bass rods, how you like yours? which one you got in pic? my tip keeps breaking on my wacky style one? not sure it i got a bad batch?

thehick176
01-03-2011, 08:07 PM
TNTransplant, that fish is for sure a walleye. I am 100% sure of it. Excellent catch! I am an avid sauger/walleye fisherman and we'll catch a few walleye mixed in with the sauger.

txnative
01-03-2011, 08:08 PM
I hate to contradict your friends, whrizrob, but the white belly is not a saugeye identification trait. Walleye do have white bellies, i've seen them on walleyes from wisconsin in lake winnebago and pewaukee and here in tn from dale hollow, caney fork river, and the cumbie.

The main id'ing feature on saugeye will be the saddle markings and fin spots. True, the fins in this photo are hard to see, but the lack of discernible saddle marks is not. A saugeye's markings will not be nearly as pronounced as a sauger's, but they are very noticeable when compared to a walleye. Judging from the photo, i'd say the fish had been either on the stringer a while or even out of water due to the bloody tint in the tail fin. This can cause markings on a fish to become darker, just like when a smallie goes from a bland golden-brown to a heavily striped pattern. If the fish on the stringer was a saugeye, the saddle blotches would be VERY distinct.

Learning to id fish in the field is important, and learning key features can be the difference between a nice limit of legal fish or a hefty fine. This holds true for spotted vs largemouth bass, white bass vs hybrids, etc.

Chris

Travis C.
01-03-2011, 08:51 PM
It is hard to tell but regarding the saddle marking the ID point on those is whether they went below the fish's lateral line. Sauger and Saugeye do Walleye don't. Both Walleye and Saugeye have the white spots on base of tail, white belly markings but walleye have few scales on their cheeks. They will feel smooth while Sauger and Saugeye will be rough with scales.

But also when dealing with hybrid fish and look alikes in general they can be very tough to tell apart. A walleye or sauger for that matter from the Cumby may not look exactly the same as say one from Cherokee Reservoir in east tn.

whrizob
01-03-2011, 08:58 PM
well guys, thats ok. ya'll would know better than me! thats for sure! but check out what this says about the white bellys? but i want to put out there that i have no clue, i just know it aint a sauger! :)

http://www.askwalleyefishing.com/is-there-a-difference-between-saugers-walleyes-and-saugeyes.html

read the last paragraph on the belly. what you think about what they say?

whrizob
01-03-2011, 09:08 PM
hey guys goes old hickory still hold the word record walleye? just curious? thanks!

Travis C.
01-03-2011, 09:41 PM
hey guys goes old hickory still hold the word record walleye? just curious? thanks!

Yup.... Mabry Harper 25lbs in 1960.

It was caught on a live waterdog while catfishing. The fish was caught three years after the Dam was finished. Like the Dale Hollow fish they were more than likey an original river strain caught up after Dam construction. Although the smallie may fall one of these years I would highly doubt there are walleye that big in Old Hick. IF there were they'd probably be up around the Caney eating those high protien trout.

Dakota
01-03-2011, 11:30 PM
TNTransplant, that fish is for sure a walleye. I am 100% sure of it. Excellent catch! I am an avid sauger/walleye fisherman and we'll catch a few walleye mixed in with the sauger.

I agree its a walleye. Ive seen alot of them growing up as I fished up north.

Crappietime
01-09-2011, 02:43 AM
I would call it a TnTransPlant fish..If it is in the size limit of either in the catergory then all is safe. If I have question about it I would always refer to the size limit that it might fall in and if it fell there to keep me legal I would keep it if I am meat fishing. If I am fishing for the fun of catch and release then it goes back in the water no matter the size unless I know for sure it will be well worth mounting and looking at my walls there aint any mounted in my house other than a blue marlin. Reproduction of course from a photo.