PDA

View Full Version : New to area, Introduction

backdoc
01-02-2011, 11:41 PM
My name is Justin Ard and my family and I just recently moved to Antioch. I am a 28 year old Chiropractor and an experienced fisherman as I have fished since basically birth. I was in a bass club in Murray, KY where I'm from last year and was also in one in Atlanta when I went to Chiropractic school for a few years. I love to fish for anything that bites with my passion being bass and crappie since I grew up fishing KY Lake.

I'm an outdoorsman and moving this time of year has messed up my whole outdoors thing and being inside with no where to go is driving me nuts. I have never fished Old Hickory or Percy Priest before. I am looking for advice on some areas that I can bank fish from preferably on percy priest as I am minutes away (or if anybody wants some company;) I'm always willing to chip in my part). I sold my boat this fall to facilitate this moving process so I'm boatless but will be in the market for another very soon (thank you tax man). I've fished a lot of banks and basically will fish for anything that bites at the moment. I know bass are probably deep and its early for crappie to be shallow so I just am seeking advice on where to start looking and visit would be nice. I'm usually duck hunting this time of year but the move has messed that up completely so figure I'll get an early start on fishing.

Thanks for anything. Looking forward to making some acquaintances on here.

whrizob
01-03-2011, 03:43 PM
welcome to the area! old hickory to most is not as good as ky, but it can be awesome! i love it! all i can say is that there are alot of fish being caught below the dam from the bank! not sure about anywhere you can fish the lake and catch them from the bank. unless you want bluegill! not much info, but maybe that will help.

Travis C.
01-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Welcome.

He's right below dams are always a safe bet this time of year.

It won't be long before everything gets going again.

Scott715
01-03-2011, 06:38 PM
My name is Justin Ard and my family and I just recently moved to Antioch. I am a 28 year old Chiropractor and an experienced fisherman as I have fished since basically birth. I was in a bass club in Murray, KY where I'm from last year and was also in one in Atlanta when I went to Chiropractic school for a few years. I love to fish for anything that bites with my passion being bass and crappie since I grew up fishing KY Lake.

I'm an outdoorsman and moving this time of year has messed up my whole outdoors thing and being inside with no where to go is driving me nuts. I have never fished Old Hickory or Percy Priest before. I am looking for advice on some areas that I can bank fish from preferably on percy priest as I am minutes away (or if anybody wants some company;) I'm always willing to chip in my part). I sold my boat this fall to facilitate this moving process so I'm boatless but will be in the market for another very soon (thank you tax man). I've fished a lot of banks and basically will fish for anything that bites at the moment. I know bass are probably deep and its early for crappie to be shallow so I just am seeking advice on where to start looking and visit would be nice. I'm usually duck hunting this time of year but the move has messed that up completely so figure I'll get an early start on fishing.

Thanks for anything. Looking forward to making some acquaintances on here.

Justin,

I'm also in the Antioch area near Long Hunter Park ramp. I don't do much fishing in the winter, but will pick back up in the spring. I have a 17' pro-craft and have gone by myself a few times. My schedule is tight and I don't get to fish as much as I want, but as time gets near, I will PM you my contact info. I fish primarily for bass & crappie as well. Normally Percy Priest aka "JPP" for crappie in the spring (along with some topwater Striper/hybrid spawning, which is great fun) and bass at Old Hickory (about 20 min drive where I put in from home). I will be in touch. :)

Scott

TNtransplant08
01-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Welcome aboard! You'll find great people and great info on this forum. As everyone else has said, fishing below dams are a great bet this time of the year. I fish below Old Hickory Dam 2-3 times a month and have my best luck winter fishing there. The great thing about it is that you can catch pretty much any species you want: both species of bass, White bass, Rockfish, Crappie, Sauger, catfish, skipjack...the list goes on. I live in LaVergne, so you ain't too far from me. You're welcome to join me one of these days if you'd like. Another location that I've had good success fishing from the bank, though there is probably places closer to you that is just as good, is Jefferson Springs Recreation area during the warm months (spring through fall). There ain't no monsters there (at least I haven't caught one :cool:..yet), but its been consistent for me with bass around 12-13 inches with some keepers in the mix. Its got pretty good size channel cats too as well.

backdoc
01-03-2011, 10:21 PM
I will take you up on a trip down there and probably will go myself sometime this weekend. Which side of the tailwaters should I be on and what to use. When fishing for any of the mentioned in current, I've always bet on a 1/4 oz white rooster tail and spinning gear is hard to beat.