PDA

View Full Version : Kayaks

TNtransplant08
01-02-2011, 10:45 AM
I noticed that there has been quite a few of you on here that fish out of Kayaks. I am planning on purchasing a fishing kayak sometime this spring and am doing my research on the different kayaks available.

Right now the top two kayaks on my list are the Freedom Hawk 12 and the Jackson Coosa (Thanks to MidTNKayakAngler for mentioning this!). They both have their pros and cons. I thought the Freedom looks neat with the outriggers and stability bar for standing up and would be great for sight fishing. However, I don't see much places I can install a depth finder or rod holders. The Coosa looks downright comfy with their seat with plenty of storage space and stability. It also would be great for river fishing if I ever want to do that. They both are also reasonable pricewise being just under a grand. However, my only concern is that if I every decide I'd like to head to the GSP, they might not be quick enough to cross the river without fatiguing me and getting run over by other boaters. Of course I'd never attempt this without going with someone more experienced the first few times out. I was considering one of the Hobie models, but I decided that they're a little too pricey for me and heavy (I only have a 4 door sedan at the moment and would be transporting on top of that) and also not ideal for shallow water situations with their mirage system.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone would like to share with me their experiences with different kayak brands; pros and cons, etc. I have noticed many of you use the Wilderness Systems Tarpon. Right now I'm not really feeling the vibes about that one, so I was wondering as well what you like about the Tarpon.

Many thanks!

txnative
01-02-2011, 12:57 PM
I have not been in a coosa, so my review will concern the freedom hawk, which i have used.
Storage on the kayak is limited severely due to a lack of storage well behind the cockpit. There are hatches, but they don't allow for large items like a true well would. I have a milk-crate in my well that allows a ton of options...i.e. extra rod holders, tackle trays, livewell, tools, etc. The stability is top-notch with the outriggers deployed, but the paddling is a bit slow. Even with the outriggers withdrawn, the segmented body creates a ton of drag. In regards to crossing the channel to the plant, you can easily cross safely as long as you pay attention. Like crossing a street, avoiding a speeding car is easy if you look both ways and committ...hesitating mid-channel, even in the quickest yak, is dangerous. The coosa, based on my own research, would be a better fit due to equal stability, solid hull for less drag, above-deck storage, and weight. Again, i've never been on a coosa, but all demos/reviews i've seen are pretty congruent with my choice of coosa vs. freedom hawk. MidTnKayakAngler will be able to give you a first-hand description of the coosa soon, as he and his wife will be getting a pair of 'em soon...lucky jerk ;)

Chris

TNtransplant08
01-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the Freedom vs. Coosa info txnative! It was helpful information and is appreciated. I will definitely be trying the demos for both this spring. Only thing that sucks is that there is no shop in Nashville that sells the Coosa, so I have to drive to Cookeville to check it out.

Reel Tune
01-03-2011, 04:48 PM
If you give me a couple weeks I'll have a Coosa you can try out. Today was their (Jackson Kayak) 1st day of being back from the Holiday's. (Must be nice to have some time off) Hope you don't mind paddling a fishing/hunting, camoed machine. I like the camo, and thinking about waterfowl hunting out of it. I've got a couple Wilderness System Tarpons you can paddle if you would like also so you can get a better feel of what you like and dislike about different features of different kayaks. I have a loaner paddle, all you have to do is bring a PFD.

Jeremy

TNtransplant08
01-03-2011, 06:07 PM
If you give me a couple weeks I'll have a Coosa you can try out. Today was their (Jackson Kayak) 1st day of being back from the Holiday's. (Must be nice to have some time off) Hope you don't mind paddling a fishing/hunting, camoed machine. I like the camo, and thinking about waterfowl hunting out of it. I've got a couple Wilderness System Tarpons you can paddle if you would like also so you can get a better feel of what you like and dislike about different features of different kayaks. I have a loaner paddle, all you have to do is bring a PFD.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy. I will definitely keep you in mind when the time comes! I will probably wait till it warms up though. I definitely don't mind paddling a fishing/hunting, camoed machine ;). It actually sounds like a great idea!

YakFish10
02-21-2011, 10:07 PM
TNtransplant08,

If you are still in the market for a kayak, River Sports Outfitters in Knoxville just received three new Jackscon Coosa Elites today (2.21.11) and also one for demo. I am not sure what part of TN you are in, but call the store at 865-523-0066 and ask for me Joe. I am the boat manager at the store. We also carry the other brands like Wilderness Systems, Hobie, and Native Watercraft. We have alot in Demo except Hobie.