PDA

View Full Version : old hickory dam 12/31/10 sauger and smallmouth

whrizob
01-01-2011, 03:09 PM
well when the weather hits 60 degrees in dec, i have to put my rifle in the safe and head to the lake! except with the 20 to 30 mph winds, i decided to fish below the dam. this time, i decide to go for some sauger. my buddy met me at the house and we headed to the bait shop. we got some minnows and headed to rockland boat ramp. it is 9:30 and the water temp is 46 degrees! it was tempting to go after those big mouths. but we locked through and seen about 6 boats fishing around. i noticed that the sun started coming out a soon as we started fishing, so i went with a white jig tip with a minnow. my buddy went with chartuse. it didnt take but about 3 mins and we caught the first one. most people who sauger fish, know what we were doing. but for the people who dont; all you need is a 1 once sauger jig, with a stinger hook (very important)! take a minnow and put it on the main hook of the jig. nose hook it! then i will take the stinger hook (which is a small treble hook that is attached to the main jig eye with fishing line) and hook it in the tail of the minnow. all you do is jig it up and let it fall down on slack line. we changed colors through out the day based on cloud color, but caught fish on every color we threw. we ended up catching 25 sauger, but only one keeper! it came on the last minnow i had! we had 1 catfish and about 15 white bass ( no size). so we ran out of minnows! i was ready to leave yet, so i pulled out the jig rod. we decided to start fishing for smallies and it didint take long to catch them! biggest one was 4 to 5 pounds! all in all, another great day to be on the water!

http://i52.tinypic.com/2m4u54j.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/33b0ldz.jpg

nofish
01-03-2011, 01:37 AM
i bought some of those 1 oz. sauger jigs a few weeks ago and had no idea what the extra treble hook was for. thanks for the info. how much fishing line should you use with the treble hook from the main eye?:D

Travis C.
01-03-2011, 09:13 AM
You need to stay outta my river there chief. :D

Nice work man.

whrizob
01-03-2011, 03:36 PM
You need to stay outta my river there chief. :D

Nice work man.

river? yours? i did see any trout around! id take you, but my boat aint big enough for those fly rods you use! lol!

Travis C.
01-03-2011, 03:58 PM
fly rods..... heck I can throw a chigger craw on my lil ones snoopy pole.

You just worry about holdin the camera still so my pictures aren't blurry. :D

whrizob
01-03-2011, 07:29 PM
fly rods..... heck I can throw a chigger craw on my lil ones snoopy pole.

You just worry about holdin the camera still so my pictures aren't blurry. :D

i hear ya! why you want a pic of your daughters snoopy pole!? :) but yeah tell me about it! couldnt believe mine were blurry! hard to get good help! lol! i can just let you use my pictures if you want. that way you can say you caught them, might make you feel better! :p

thehick176
01-03-2011, 08:12 PM
LOL!!! I'm lovin it. Sounds just like me and my fishin buddies.

Travis C.
01-03-2011, 08:24 PM
couldnt believe mine were blurry! hard to get good help! lol!

I couldn't believe it either. You blurred at least 2-3 extra pounds on that fish. :D

whrizob
01-03-2011, 08:53 PM
I couldn't believe it either. You blurred at least 2-3 extra pounds on that fish. :D

lol! whatever works! bad thing is, the fish clear. i just blurred my ugly face! whatever keeps from scaring ya'll! ha ha! :)

hick, its what it is about! he knows he forgot how to catch those greenheads!

Travis C.
01-03-2011, 09:02 PM
I agree, it is what its all about Hick.

I have know whrizob for several years now. Way back when we worked together and used to have pitchin contests at work in the lobby.

Fun times.

whrizob
01-04-2011, 09:14 AM
I agree, it is what its all about Hick.

I have know whrizob for several years now. Way back when we worked together and used to have pitchin contests at work in the lobby.

Fun times.

yeah i forgot about that! nothing like pitching a jig into a coffee cup to past time! lol! yeah that was fun times!