PDA

View Full Version : Sonar bites the dust.

Alphahawk
06-27-2017, 07:56 PM
My HB 899 started acting up a few weeks back...of course it is out of warranty. I had it nailed down to a heat issue......when fishing under cloud cover it was fine. When the sun was out it would start shutting off and powering back on by itself. Tried to replicate the problem with it in my garage but it would not fail.....pull the boat out into the sunlight and give it a few minutes and it would start shutting off and then come back on....just repeating over and over. I called HB to just see if they had heard of this issue....works fine under cloud cover but when sun is bright and hot it cycles on and off. To my surprise the HB rep told me this is a "known issue". So when I remarked the unit should be repaired for free as it is a known issue she told me it was out of warranty and they could not do that. She was nice...I was nice....but in the end I decided I did not want to pay the almost 300 bucks to get it repaired with only a 90 day warranty on the repair. So I am getting a New Helix 10 Mega si. The 899 has served me well for 4 years. Yesterday I got a pretty good image for old technology. If you look close you can see the tail...and dorsal fin. Looking forward to getting the new Helix 10.

Regards

Adrian
06-27-2017, 09:21 PM
Yep, Asian Carp :)

XxthejuicexX
06-28-2017, 08:02 AM
I ordered the 9" Mega for my grandfather, it's currently sitting in the truck waiting to be installed. I'm excited for him because he's never used anything like this and is about to have his mind blown with the detail he sees

Shoe man
06-28-2017, 09:20 AM
I haven't had a working sonar unit on my boat in nearly 5 years. Always have some other emergency that requires money spent. Still catch fish but I know with all the new technology out there I could be catching more fish. Thanks for the info everyone posts on these items. When it comes time you guys will have made my decision easier........ I hope!

Transplanted Sportsman
06-28-2017, 11:01 PM
I hate to hear that Mr Randy, on the other hand those mega helix are very nice, what are you going to do with your old unit?

Halli
06-29-2017, 07:05 AM
You are really gonna love the helix Mega.

It's easy to use. Easy to see and even tells you who is calling or what the text messages that just came thru read.

Transplanted Sportsman
06-29-2017, 07:10 AM
You are really gonna love the helix Mega.

It's easy to use. Easy to see and even tells you who is calling or what the text messages that just came thru read.

Man that sounds real cool, how do you turn on this feature?

Halli
06-29-2017, 07:12 AM
Bluetooth

Farley
06-29-2017, 08:09 AM
Cabela's is running a great sale on them until 7/2.

Transplanted Sportsman
06-29-2017, 08:16 AM
Thanks!