PDA

View Full Version : Maintain your watercraft!

agelesssone
06-17-2017, 08:31 AM
And at the end of the trip, we rescued a stranded family from an island after their pontoon boat quit running.
Mommy, Dad, 6 year old Grace, and a tiny little dog. And it had been raining hard since they had gotten stranded.
They were lucky my customers spotted the man waving us down as we're cruising, looking for fish. I was concentrating on piloting and watching the graphs when one of them said, "Hey, I think that guy is waving TO us, not at us.
So we cruised over and found out the dilemma.
Glad we found them as there were no other boats on the lake in the rain at the time.

thehick176
06-17-2017, 10:41 AM
Yeah you may miss you few fishing trips doing maintenance but the safety and piece of mind is priceless

Shaugh
06-17-2017, 12:43 PM
No excuse in any boat to not at least have a $99 trolling motor and extra battery stowed on any trip.... even well maintained motors break down...

MickT
06-17-2017, 08:52 PM
I once towed an old fiberglass trihull over a mile back to the ramp on the French Broad. They would have been in a world of trouble if they started generating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schleprock
06-17-2017, 11:22 PM
a buddy and I once got stranded by the reef (10 miles out)in Key West Fla when our battery died, was so unprepared, no flare gun or radio , 30 hours later coast guard found us, we were so lucky our anchor didn't give or we may have drifted to who knows where , a storm hit us in the middle of the night and we were bucket bailing water for hours, was pretty certain we were going to die

Alwayss be prepared , can't stress that enough lol

Texas_Rig
06-18-2017, 12:44 AM
And at the end of the trip, we rescued a stranded family from an island after their pontoon boat quit running.
Mommy, Dad, 6 year old Grace, and a tiny little dog. And it had been raining hard since they had gotten stranded.
They were lucky my customers spotted the man waving us down as we're cruising, looking for fish. I was concentrating on piloting and watching the graphs when one of them said, "Hey, I think that guy is waving TO us, not at us.
So we cruised over and found out the dilemma.
Glad we found them as there were no other boats on the lake in the rain at the time.

Thx for doing the right thing Merv

Texas_Rig
06-18-2017, 12:45 AM
No excuse in any boat to not at least have a $99 trolling motor and extra battery stowed on any trip.... even well maintained motors break down...

I don't have room for either in my boat.

agelesssone
06-18-2017, 08:05 AM
Breakdowns like this is why I pay $78.00 a year for tow insurance.
And it's also why I switched to Verizon phone service.
I would generally NOT have phone service when on the river, none on Tims Ford and spotty on Priest.
Since I fish all year round, I don't want to get stranded anywhere on the water when it's 20 degrees.
I have taken to carrying a battery pack (jump starter) on my boat instead of jumper cables. That eliminates the need for someone with a battery to happen by.
I've used it to jump two boats and one truck at ramps so far.
So, maintain your equipment as best as you can, try to plan ahead to cope with emergencies and hope that a Good Samaritan happens by if you don't have the tow insurance.
$78.00 a year is a lot better than a $240 tow bill, plus if you are trailering you boat, it is covered then too.

ddyyak
06-18-2017, 10:49 AM
What tow service do you use? Do they support old hickory?

agelesssone
06-18-2017, 02:09 PM
Boat US.....615-663-3599
AND yes, they do.

jaybird
06-19-2017, 08:28 AM
Nice job Merv. Always blows my mind how many people will not help someone who needs it. Once helped a guy load his boat in white caps. He hung around the boat ramp - thought he was going to help with mine. Nope, drove off and left me to struggle by myself. Not even a thank you.

Shaugh
06-19-2017, 09:00 AM
I don't have room for either in my boat.

You don't have a trolling motor on the boat ? I'm not saying you need a 3rd motor... but you should at least have 2, even if you're only pleasure boating... Going out on a lake with only 1 motor is asking for trouble eventually.

I've run out of gas when the marina we planned to buy from was closed when we got there... had to limp to the next one on the trolly only...

My boat has a full size second battery for emergencies, but I used to carry a small motorcycle battery as the fail safe on a smaller boat... fit in a side pouch easily.

Texas_Rig
06-19-2017, 03:47 PM
You don't have a trolling motor on the boat ? I'm not saying you need a 3rd motor... but you should at least have 2, even if you're only pleasure boating... Going out on a lake with only 1 motor is asking for trouble eventually.

I've run out of gas when the marina we planned to buy from was closed when we got there... had to limp to the next one on the trolly only...

My boat has a full size second battery for emergencies, but I used to carry a small motorcycle battery as the fail safe on a smaller boat... fit in a side pouch easily.

I misunderstood your comment. Yes I have a trolling motor. For some reason I read it as you saying everyone needed a spare trolling motor in the boat

skillet
06-19-2017, 05:38 PM
I misunderstood your comment. Yes I have a trolling motor. For some reason I read it as you saying everyone needed a spare trolling motor in the boat

Only if you're fishing the Bassmaster Elite series!!!

Tnarcher
06-20-2017, 07:49 PM
a buddy and I once got stranded by the reef (10 miles out)in Key West Fla when our battery died, was so unprepared, no flare gun or radio , 30 hours later coast guard found us, we were so lucky our anchor didn't give or we may have drifted to who knows where , a storm hit us in the middle of the night and we were bucket bailing water for hours, was pretty certain we were going to die

Alwayss be prepared , can't stress that enough lol

I've caught the crap outta grey snappers, yellowtail, and grouper on that reef!
Normally that reef is packed with fisherman.

Schleprock
06-21-2017, 11:16 PM
I've caught the crap outta grey snappers, yellowtail, and grouper on that reef!
Normally that reef is packed with fisherman.

Early 80s wasn't too bad, we used to go out and catch $200 worth of fish in half a day, I was 17 and took my dads boat without permission, no one knew we were there , we filled up a white igloo cooler full of yellow tail snapper, remember high fiving and then when I started the motor nothing, tried the complementary pull cord , what a joke, we both pulled that thing at least 500 times each til the wee hours of the morning until the storm hit , then the reality of our situation kicked in, remember it like it was yesterday