PDA

View Full Version : west fork area

thewudd
05-30-2017, 07:52 AM
I put in at west fork yesterday afternoon and paddled up the creek a mile or so casting to the bank and brush.

Couldn't buy a bite most of the day. I tried several different baits with no success. I caught one 12" bass on a white spinner bait right at the boat and missed a few on a white fluke w/ no weight. Gar were out in force splashing around.

I figured this area would keep me away from pleasure boaters and it was pretty relaxed back there.

Pinwheeled
05-30-2017, 03:35 PM
That area is a lot quieter than the main lake. I used to fish up there quite a bit in the summer when I was still bass fishing a lot. It can be tough but I used to catch a bunch further off the bank than you would think. Most would come off little features in the rock a good ways off the bank. I would drag a jig or drop shot, feel it fall off a little shelf, and then a bass would pick it up. As it got closer to dark, it seems like the fish eased up and I would catch some buzzbait fish up closer to the brush and rock faces.

Hope that helps a little and be careful around dark at that ramp. Pretty dark around there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thewudd
06-01-2017, 10:55 AM
roger that. i'm usually packing and try to be wary. with it being a holiday weekend, there were a good number of other kayaks/canoes and a few jet skis. the general mood was good people out having fun.

wish i had fished a little later, but had to get home...