PDA

View Full Version : priest hybrids

Headhunter
05-16-2017, 08:09 AM
topwater bite is about as good as it gets.

skillet
05-16-2017, 08:19 AM
Great write up 👍🏼👌🏼💪🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrian
05-16-2017, 12:44 PM
Nice. What time of the day?

Texas_Rig
05-16-2017, 02:36 PM
Sounds fun

Headhunter
05-17-2017, 10:19 AM
It is fun. Hammered them again. midnight or so is when they are blowing the top out of the water.

Saltwaterwalt
05-17-2017, 01:09 PM
Dang, wish I could still stay up that late. :D

JeffsLowe
05-17-2017, 06:56 PM
It is fun. Hammered them again. midnight or so is when they are blowing the top out of the water.

Oh YEAH RIGHT!!! No way am I falling for that anymore. You striper guys are the worst for setting up snipe hunts than anyone I have ever seen. The BITES ON at the steam plant- when its 10 below zero - gotta be there at dawn.....I swear you guys all hide out at Flippers, drink hot chocolate, and peek out the window to see if the guy in the blue Lowe fell for it again. YUP - there he is - chipping ice out of his plug hole by flashlight and slipping down the ice on the ramp....and all for naught...

Snipe hunters...thats what you striper guys are.....

(posted in humor, kind of, anyway...)

Saltwaterwalt
05-17-2017, 07:34 PM
Now that there is funny JeffLowe! :D

Headhunter
05-18-2017, 08:34 AM
Jeffslowe, sorry, it is true, I have been doing this for several years. Now they normally do not blow up, but the topwater bite from about midnight to daylight is when it can be the absolute best. Not ALL the time, not every single trip, but it can be very consistent and at times will last for as long as a couple hours of either catching a fish, have a fish on or fish pushing or blowing up on the topwater bait most every single cast. You got one part right, it can be "hunting" at times, I will have trip or a few trips in a row where I catch absolutely nothing, but when I find them it is about my favorite of all fishing.

unkangler
05-18-2017, 09:45 AM
I believe ya. .. when you have a serious case of "the fever" you'll do all kinds of stuff to get 'em.

JeffsLowe
05-18-2017, 10:38 AM
Jeffslowe, sorry, it is true, I have been doing this for several years. Now they normally do not blow up, but the topwater bite from about midnight to daylight is when it can be the absolute best. Not ALL the time, not every single trip, but it can be very consistent and at times will last for as long as a couple hours of either catching a fish, have a fish on or fish pushing or blowing up on the topwater bait most every single cast. You got one part right, it can be "hunting" at times, I will have trip or a few trips in a row where I catch absolutely nothing, but when I find them it is about my favorite of all fishing.

yup gotcha....just make sure your on the water at midnight, whoop at the top of your lungs for a couple hours to call em in, scoop em up with the net, then throw em in the tow sack....

The walleye guys are almost as bad... was out at upper Center Hill this week throwing jerk baits trying to catch one... and when the sun goes down in that gorge you might as well have a sack thrown over your head for all you can see. No walleyes, but did catch a 5lb bass first cast, then caught another same size a couple minutes later..then gave up and started walleye trolling and caught exactly nada. So went back the next night just to fish for bass...hoping to catch walleyes...nope, and no more 5lbrs either.

But the musky snipe hunters are pretty bad too. Probably worst of all...I ask my musky guide buddy to send me a pic every now and then just to remind me they actually exist.....knowing full well its probably the same catch taken from 15 different angles to make it look like its a different fish...to keep me motivated when i might go a month without even seeing one...But at least you don't musky fish at midnight or when its twenty below....

not yet anyway..

Headhunter
05-24-2017, 08:42 AM
Still catching them, last 2 mornings have been really good.

thewudd
05-24-2017, 11:06 AM
are you typically just finding them in large bends of the river channel?

i may plan a midnight kayak outing if the action is that good.

Headhunter
05-24-2017, 11:19 AM
They move, a lot. I cover lots of water and find them in different areas often. Basically, they can be anywhere from the Hobson Pike bridge to the dam. They will usually be right against the shoreline from midnight til close to daylight. You almost have to throw the lure on the bank.

Headhunter
05-26-2017, 03:51 PM
took a game warden with me this morning, it was a great morning. The hybrids came up and we caught several smallmouth and largemouth.