PDA

View Full Version : Laurel Hill Lake

Heiny57
04-28-2017, 05:35 PM
Has anyone on here fished the lake or know anything about it?

Schleprock
04-28-2017, 06:11 PM
Has anyone on here fished the lake or know anything about it?

Never heard of it but looks small from google earth

TnCreekMaster
04-28-2017, 07:59 PM
I've read some posts from alphahawk about the lake just do a search on here or pm him I'm sure he'll help ya out, I know there bass, gills, crappie, redears and catfish in there

Heiny57
04-28-2017, 08:00 PM
I think 325 acres

Alphahawk
04-28-2017, 08:32 PM
Laurel Hill has some great Gill...shellcracker, and catfish. It is still one of the best public places to fish for a trophy bluegill...a 10 inch one. It also has a population of copper nose bluegill. No other public lake in the state has that. I have caught some really good ones out of there. I would say in the next 3 weeks it will be prime fishing.

Regards

Heiny57
04-29-2017, 06:26 AM
That's a big one. I am working in Waynesboro this summer and heard some huge Crappie were being caught. Do you have any tips for Crappie and Bass?

Alphahawk
04-29-2017, 05:52 PM
That's a big one. I am working in Waynesboro this summer and heard some huge Crappie were being caught. Do you have any tips for Crappie and Bass?

Laurel Hill has a good population of largemouth...but the lake is not known for lots of big bass such as Williamsport produces. Only in the past 3 or 4 years have shad been in the lake...they are quite prolific there now. For the next few weeks, and on into early summer you will find the largemouth on the grassy points down there chasing schooling shad. As for crappie there are some nice crappie in the lake...however the numbers are not great. TWRA has not stocked Laurel Hill with crappie in years and refuse to do so anymore....they say they don't belong in that small of a lake....yet much smaller lakes at Williamsport are overrun with crappie. If you go in a boat and as you are heading toward the dam.......just as you get out of the no wake zone on the right bank......is a good spot for crappie. If you don't have a boat a lot of crappie are caught off of the T dock there to the right front of concession building...the dock with no rails.

Regards

agelesssone
04-30-2017, 11:06 AM
Excellent post, Alphahawk.
You're making me think about going there....so.....are you going to pay for my gas????

Alphahawk
04-30-2017, 01:59 PM
Excellent post, Alphahawk.
You're making me think about going there....so.....are you going to pay for my gas????

Thanks Merv....shoot I can barely pay for my gas.....as much as I use.....LOL. Laurel Hill is great lake for bluegill....and crappie can be caught there but it is certainly not a destination lake for crappie. Go there after the spring bluegill spawn and the lake will be virtually deserted in the summer. Tough lake to fish in summer.

Regards

agelesssone
04-30-2017, 07:24 PM
Which lake was it down there that had good sized bass and a decent population of hybrids?

And, can you put in a boat with a gas motor attached, but not started?

Alphahawk
04-30-2017, 08:27 PM
Which lake was it down there that had good sized bass and a decent population of hybrids?

And, can you put in a boat with a gas motor attached, but not started?

That is at Williamsport outside of Columbia. The two lakes are Blue Cat and ShellCracker.....and yes you can put a gas motor boat in the lake but cannot start it. If I wanted a trophy largemouth that is where I would go. In the spring a lot of 8+ pound bass caught out there.

Regards