PDA

View Full Version : Rainy day on old hick

skillet
04-25-2017, 10:38 AM
Against his better judgement, I forced deezltek to go fishing Sunday amidst all the rain. Not a big deal. Water was high and muddy, but I like those conditions. Not the muddy part, but it's hard to have high waters and no stain. So, we went to drakes creekwhich we've only fished a couple of times, and put in around 6am, fished till 3:30. And what a day!! My arm is still sore from setting hooks and lifting fish. 3rd cast of the morning and I had a giant on and in the boat. We only had 8 keepers for the day, but put over 40 in the boat. And the non keepers were the fatest, healthy and strongest 13 inchers I've ever seen. It's been a great spring so far and I hope the summer goes just as good.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170425/1435ee84ee100d5ab6b6a5a008b5c63c.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170425/1e9240e7a3434bcd130e4e1e56252c96.jpg had to throw the drum in there....his first jig fish of the year!!!!!!! 👏👏👏 hahaha. He thought it was a hawg and played it like it was....what a fool!!!😂
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170425/7050c13ece8aa04f237d0537d29c3723.jpg

Then we went and saw Larry the Cable Guy at the Ryman.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170425/cdaf2cd227941449d335fca9742d23f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XxthejuicexX
04-25-2017, 01:00 PM
Fantastic Day! You were not the only one who ventured out Sunday. I went to Tim's Ford. Caught a chunky 16" large mouth, two keeper crappie and a 15" Smallmouth.

skillet
04-25-2017, 01:08 PM
There was a tournament going on, so we didn't have it to ourselves. It was a great day!!! I wish they were all that good

Jim
04-25-2017, 04:04 PM
I fished below Melton Hill dam in the rain. The stripers were biting strong. Too bad I only had a 2 lb test trout magnet set up as I was washed out of trout fishing in the Smoky Mountains. Hooked 2 stripers on my only swimbaits in the truck, but couldn't stop either. Watched others land a bunch.

That rain seems to have been great for the fishing,
Jim

Schleprock
04-25-2017, 08:51 PM
I fished below Melton Hill dam in the rain. The stripers were biting strong. Too bad I only had a 2 lb test trout magnet set up as I was washed out of trout fishing in the Smoky Mountains. Hooked 2 stripers on my only swimbaits in the truck, but couldn't stop either. Watched others land a bunch.

Jim

We fished Melton Hill above the dam Sunday in the rain, we caught about 12 largemouth and several smallmouths , while we were leaving saw 3 boats fishing below the dam, we saw a boat leaving the dam high fiving each other as they left , figured they hit some great fish

skillet
04-25-2017, 10:53 PM

Jim

I love fishing in the rain!!! It always turns them on it seems. But, the water was starting to fall an hour or so before we left and the bite got tough compared to what it was. But it didn't matter then, we were leaving. If we hadn't had the show to go too, I'd liked to have figured out what to do with the falling water level. Oh well, maybe next time!!

Buccaneer
04-26-2017, 05:01 AM
Impressive work for you two. What baits did you have your good luck on? In the pictures I see the water was in the yards. I have slayed them by throwing up in the grass with Zoom Horny Toads or pink floating worms and dragging the bait into the water. I think the bass are up tight facing the shore for all the tasty tidbits coming out of people's yards.

butts0907
04-26-2017, 01:38 PM
Man...seems like a great day for sure!! You definitely did better than I did! I spent the weekend up at KY Lake and, although we did find a few fish, the wind was a big factor and kept us off a lot of places we wanted to fish.

Also, and I guess a general question, we saw more asian carp up there than I've ever seen in my life. Luckily, they've contracted some sort of disease that's causing them to go crazy and die (saw several jump out of the water onto the bank and had one swimming in circles beside the boat and would actually run into the boat about every 30 seconds or so). But why are these things to dangerous? Do they eat eggs? What do they do that causes them to ruin a lake? I talked to several other people up there that made it sound like they'd just lost their favorite family pet, but never got an explanation on what they do that's so bad. Can anyone educate me a bit??

-Paul

TnCreekMaster
04-26-2017, 03:14 PM
Man...seems like a great day for sure!! You definitely did better than I did! I spent the weekend up at KY Lake and, although we did find a few fish, the wind was a big factor and kept us off a lot of places we wanted to fish.

Also, and I guess a general question, we saw more asian carp up there than I've ever seen in my life. Luckily, they've contracted some sort of disease that's causing them to go crazy and die (saw several jump out of the water onto the bank and had one swimming in circles beside the boat and would actually run into the boat about every 30 seconds or so). But why are these things to dangerous? Do they eat eggs? What do they do that causes them to ruin a lake? I talked to several other people up there that made it sound like they'd just lost their favorite family pet, but never got an explanation on what they do that's so bad. Can anyone educate me a bit??

-Paul

They outcompete our native fishes for plankton as they are filter feeders and one female can lay 1 million eggs multiple times a year vs a bluegill which lays only 10-40k

butts0907
04-26-2017, 03:21 PM
Oh. I see. So they don't physically do anything to harm the native fish. Rather they eat all the stuff that the bait fish would normally eat which eventually eliminates the bait fish? That makes sense. Thanks for the education! And the 1 million eggs multiple times a year is insane. Is there any known way of eliminating them once they show up?

deezelteck
04-26-2017, 03:50 PM
I was committed to getting a jig fish.. I thought I had a HAWG on the line! 😂😄 Nope just a drum..

It was a great day, one I will never forget..

Buccaneer.. The bass would hit any dark bottom bait we threw.. Nothing on the spinnerbait or crank.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Halli
04-26-2017, 05:35 PM
For God Sake get a new hat!!!!

Oh yeah Rocking the Fish!

TnCreekMaster
04-26-2017, 08:12 PM
Great catch guys! Those drum in drakes are some serious fun and there's some big ones in there too, had one spool 150yds of 6lb test out like it was nothing.

Responding to butts0907 not only do the outcompete the bait but also the baby bass, crappie, striper etc. There was a huge kill a few years back below Kentucky dam like 400,000 of the nasty things belly up. Here a link to a great article Larry woody wrote a few days ago about the carp.
http://www.lebanondemocrat.com/Fishing/2017/04/20/Asian-carp-has-TWRA-worried.html?ci=stream&lp=2&p=

butts0907
04-27-2017, 11:09 AM
Great catch guys! Those drum in drakes are some serious fun and there's some big ones in there too, had one spool 150yds of 6lb test out like it was nothing.

Responding to butts0907 not only do the outcompete the bait but also the baby bass, crappie, striper etc. There was a huge kill a few years back below Kentucky dam like 400,000 of the nasty things belly up. Here a link to a great article Larry woody wrote a few days ago about the carp.
http://www.lebanondemocrat.com/Fishing/2017/04/20/Asian-carp-has-TWRA-worried.html?ci=stream&lp=2&p=

Great info and thanks for sharing the article!!

skillet
04-27-2017, 12:37 PM
Impressive work for you two. What baits did you have your good luck on? In the pictures I see the water was in the yards. I have slayed them by throwing up in the grass with Zoom Horny Toads or pink floating worms and dragging the bait into the water. I think the bass are up tight facing the shore for all the tasty tidbits coming out of people's yards.

What do you mean..."impressive work for you two???" We are world class semi professional amateurs!!! 😂😂 We have been using finesse techniques lately that have been working wonders!!! I've only had a baitcaster in my hand three times in the last two months!!

When the water is up and muddy, bass will usually go into the new areas, and tight to the new cover. They're curious animals like cats! Lol

Paul, how's the fishing been on ky lake? I'm wanting to go and fish them bushes!

butts0907
04-27-2017, 12:46 PM
What do you mean..."impressive work for you two???" We are world class semi professional amateurs!!! 😂😂 We have been using finesse techniques lately that have been working wonders!!! I've only had a baitcaster in my hand three times in the last two months!!

When the water is up and muddy, bass will usually go into the new areas, and tight to the new cover. They're curious animals like cats! Lol

Paul, how's the fishing been on ky lake? I'm wanting to go and fish them bushes!

It should start to pick up nicely, real soon. They raised the water a little over 2 ft last week, so I was hoping we had timed it perfectly, but the cold snap, wind, and carp prevented that from happening. But in my "world class semi professional amateur" opinion, they want to be up there, but last weekend just wasn't the right time. This weekend should be much better, not accounting for the carp of course. If you go, I'd consider heading to New Johnsonville or Paris Landing. From what I heard last week, the carp situation isn't as bad there, but can neither confirm nor deny that (I was fishing out of Blood River).

skillet
04-28-2017, 10:03 AM
It should start to pick up nicely, real soon. They raised the water a little over 2 ft last week, so I was hoping we had timed it perfectly, but the cold snap, wind, and carp prevented that from happening. But in my "world class semi professional amateur" opinion, they want to be up there, but last weekend just wasn't the right time. This weekend should be much better, not accounting for the carp of course. If you go, I'd consider heading to New Johnsonville or Paris Landing. From what I heard last week, the carp situation isn't as bad there, but can neither confirm nor deny that (I was fishing out of Blood River).

Sweet...thanks for the info. My dad is coming to visit next weekend and he's mentioned wanting to go there...so might make that happen.

skillet
04-28-2017, 01:39 PM
For God Sake get a new hat!!!!

Oh yeah Rocking the Fish!

My lucky hat!!! ROLL TIDE