PDA

View Full Version : "150 off the wall at Pickwick"

Alphahawk
04-12-2017, 06:56 PM
Hit Pickwick at 10:00 a.m. this morning. The generation schedule was not conducive for producing white bass. So I headed down river to a creek....knowing they would be in the creek.......I was wrong. Headed back up river to a gravel pit....nothing there. It was beginning to look like I had made the 140 mile drive for nothing. I decided to go up to the wing wall at the end of the generators. I was not expecting much as the only two generators running were over at the catwalk....water at the wing wall was dead calm. First cast and just about had the rod ripped from my hands. For the next 4 hours I sat at same spot with trolling motor in spot lock and proceeded to catch over 150 big white bass.....most in the 14-16 inch range...had one 17 inch that I thought I took a pic of but I guess not. It was a fish every cast. I started out using my Yamaga Blanks Blue Current 6' 10" TZ UL rod spooled up with SOS 2# test line. After landing 4 fish I decided to switch to my Major Craft MSX L action rod with 4# test SOS line and a leader of 4# test Phantom fluro. These fish were flat "Diggin"! My boat was sitting in 30 feet of water. I would cast a 1/8 ounce jig head with a Midnight Blue ThunderHawk Dancer and let it hit the wall and fall straight down to the base of the wing wall. If a fish did not hit it on the way down I would drag it off the base to the drop off and they would knock the fire out of it! I had some nice bonus fish as well. Had 4 Smallies that went 11-12 inches....and the one good one at 15 inches...so fat it was ready to pop! Also had a black perch at 9.5 inches.....and several Gills and crappie that I took no pics of. Life is good!

Regards

commdd
04-12-2017, 08:21 PM
great day on the water! congratulations.

JKTrevecca
04-13-2017, 08:05 AM
You..... Are..... The..... Man........

fairweatherfisherman
04-13-2017, 08:47 AM
I've been watching for a Pickwick report. That is one of the few Tennessee River dams I've not fished, and my wife and I have been planning a trip over there. Thanks for the report.

ttitan27
04-13-2017, 09:52 AM
Now that is a fun day!! Congrats.

MdTnBankBustin
04-13-2017, 11:12 AM
Damn man, Tore em up. I am definitely looking forward to testing out the crappie magnets this spring.

I have only caught blue gill on the trout magnets but they were huge.. Thanks for the report!

TNBronzeback
04-13-2017, 03:42 PM
Pish posh! now 151 at the dam....now THAT would be impressive! HA!
you are tearing it up! kinda regret not buying a few packs of those at the show when you told me about them.
Keep up the great reports!!!!

Heiny57
04-13-2017, 09:13 PM
Where can I buy those lures? Anywhere local?

hogdawg
04-14-2017, 04:15 AM
That is a sweet little boat.