PDA

View Full Version : All around fishing rod/reel

Ramsay
04-08-2017, 09:14 PM
What would be a good all-purpose rod/reel length and size, line wt. etc. for fishing TN streams, lakes, etc. ? Thanks

deezelteck
04-08-2017, 11:15 PM
6'6" medium.. Is what I started with..

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

JKTrevecca
04-08-2017, 11:33 PM
There is a Shakespeare ugly stick combo that is usually 50 bucks. It is, in my novice opinion, perfect for what you describe. The rod is 6.5 feet and the real has instant anti reverse and is very smooth. You could use it for crappie with light test line or 10 lbs ers with 6 or 8 lb test. Some Wal-Mart's have this on special for about 30 bucks in a box of you can find it.

Here it is at regular price. Now.... If you are looking for a finesse combo that is Pro quality this may not fit the bill but I think this is a great setup for any weekender...

http://www.uglystik.com/uglystik-combos-spinning-combos/ugly-stik-gx2-spinning-combo/1264704.html?utm_source=Mercent&utm_medium=PLA&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&mr:trackingCode=0A7A89A8-9ABB-E411-9D7B-ECF4BBCCF2F4&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=t&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=91715210125&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:tid=pla-18283950120&mr:ploc=9013141&mr:iloc=&mr:store=&mr:filter=18283950120&jt=1&jap=1o3&js=1&jsid=38162&jcpid=8a8ae4cd4c8ebbb3014c924681e93b20&jkId=gcp:se_38162:pp_18283950120:ag_27809047765:cp _337138765:n_g:d_t:cr_91715210125&gclid=CjwKEAjwlKLHBRDztKr6wMnRthMSJAALcT-sea6Z_aIUPDxN9GdH6kAtQ2NSycudTSL2mk-Jb8LAgxoCWVTw_wcB#specifications

JKTrevecca
04-08-2017, 11:56 PM
https://www.amazon.com/Ugly-Stik-GX2-Spinning-Combo/dp/B00FH3WNY6?th=1&psc=1

In case you hate Walmart like me....

lforet2002
04-09-2017, 06:17 AM
My favorite all purpose affordable rig is the Abu Garcia Cardinal. 6-8 lb test line and of course as with everybody else here you really can't go wrong with an ugly stick. 6' 6" med.

FishAddict
04-09-2017, 07:59 AM
Spend a few more dollars and get a Pflueger President combo. I think on-ine you can get one for $80. If I was only going to get 1, I'd get a 30 size with a 6-6 rod. You can use this for most anything except big stripers and cats.

SAMBOLIE
04-09-2017, 08:41 AM
I have 1 of each of these. Best I have found for the money. Actually casts better than my Nasci and is 99% as smooth.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Daiwa-Revros-Spinning-Reel-REV2000H&i=915812

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Daiwa-RG-AB-Spinning-Reel&i=1006651

Mikeyrrt
04-09-2017, 11:18 AM
I second the Pflueger president combo and good line will make your life a lot easier too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramsay
04-09-2017, 04:18 PM
I second the Pflueger president combo and good line will make your life a lot easier too

Thanks for all the suggestions. What would be good lines to use?

SAMBOLIE
04-09-2017, 05:43 PM

Been using this for years. Have not found the brand names to be any better.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Excel-Monofilament-Line-Jumbo-Spool/product/1208310516498/

lforet2002
04-09-2017, 06:53 PM
I have to say everybody here is on point about the Plueger President. Its an awesome reel. If you get the bottom of the line one its 60 bucks. I have the middle one and it was 80. It has a graphite handle..

JeffsLowe
04-09-2017, 08:50 PM
Another Pflueger President fan. Think I have at least 6 of them, and is all I have used for years.

Like others said, a quality medium action in 6 1/2 will do just fine, although I am a little taller so prefer a 7 foot rod. Ugly Stick was mentioned, and are probably the best value at around 40 bucks. I have a bunch of those too.

Regarding line, I have pretty much standardized at Trilene XL (red box) in 12 lb test. Might be a little heaver than most, but on the other hand - I tend to get snagged a lot - either from trolling on the lakes or casting up into trees on the rivers. Having 12lb test gives me a fighting chance to get my lure back. I must have got snagged a dozen times yesterday but got my lure back ever time. With a President loaded with 12lb line you are good to go for just about anything that bites.

Exception on the line thing - if you want to fish for tailwater trout with your rig you will need a good fluorocarbon. I tend to prefer 6 lb test. I just keep a spare spool loaded with it in my trout bag, slip it on a President, and can get a pretty small spinner way out there.

frayedknot
04-09-2017, 10:18 PM
I don't have any experience with the president setup, but years ago I did have the Abu Garcia cardinal combo and loved it! I actually caught my PB with it (8lb 2oz) All my finesse fishing these days are done on a bass pro shops finesse spin cast and an all-pro lightweight rod. It's an older setup but a sweet one. I bought a pinnacle combo from walmart a year or two ago for like 40 bucks. 6'6" medium and it handles big fish fine. I forget the model name but I'm impressed by how the drag has held up.

I have some higher end shimano and abu garcia baitcaster for big waters, but when I'm pond hopin' ive always got my pinnacle combo and a berkley walmart 7ft paired with the abu silvermax.

When it comes to line, their pretty much all gonna be on an even playing field for ponds, and streams. As long as you stick with the major brands. Stren, trilene, ect.. as long as your not using the 5000yrds for a dollar stuff lol..Definitely pull the line off of any combo you get just to be safe. I've had line come on combos that I can break with my hands right out of the pack. I prefer sunline personally but I've always had good luck with stren.

It's also worth taking a look at Favorite Fishings new combos if your into a higher quality option. They have a quality baitcasting combo for $149. It's called the Sick Stick. Their spinning combos are the
"absolute " $90
"Balance" $100
"Sick stick" $129
I love my favorite rods!! Sorry this got kinda long.

Mikeyrrt
04-10-2017, 07:02 AM

I would go trilene xl smooth 6-8 lb I like six lb more

Ramsay
04-10-2017, 12:55 PM
A 2 piece is pmore convenient for packing, traveling, fitting in car, etc., but what are the trade offs? Is the action and/ or strength of a one piece way better?

JeffsLowe
04-10-2017, 01:27 PM
A 2 piece is pmore convenient for packing, traveling, fitting in car, etc., but what are the trade offs? Is the action and/ or strength of a one piece way better?

Own both - but prefer 1 piece. 2 piece occasionally has a way of separating at the most inconvenient times. But if a 2 piece works best for you it will do the job just fine so long as its a quality brand IMO.

TNBronzeback
04-10-2017, 02:15 PM
For what its worth, i havent met a fish that could stand up to my power rangers kiddie combo (complete with casting plugs and tackle box). Now im not gonna push you to the Rangers, but several other guys on here Agelessone and Skillet use Superman and My Little Mermaid with similar results. And the price point is unmatched.
Just something to consider among all these other options that the guys are offering.

skillet
04-10-2017, 06:18 PM
For what its worth, i havent met a fish that could stand up to my power rangers kiddie combo (complete with casting plugs and tackle box). Now im not gonna push you to the Rangers, but several other guys on here Agelessone and Skillet use Superman and My Little Mermaid with similar results. And the price point is unmatched.

Just something to consider among all these other options that the guys are offering.

It's a "my little pony"!!!! Dont get it confused with those sissy mermaids!!!

In response to the two piece versus one piece...i e never had an issue with a two piece...and it's been my go-to finesse rod with a 3000 series reel. The main trade off is weight. The two piece is a little heavier and that 3000 reel is heavier than a 1000 or 2000 but holds more line. I personally prefer a 2000 reel and a medium action rod. The medium will give enough backbone to get big fish in, and still sensitive enough to feel the smallest of bites.

Alphahawk
04-10-2017, 08:58 PM
Own both - but prefer 1 piece. 2 piece occasionally has a way of separating at the most inconvenient times. But if a 2 piece works best for you it will do the job just fine so long as its a quality brand IMO.

Get you some ferrule wax and you will never have that problem again. If you don't want to buy some ferrule wax you can use a candle. Even very expensive rods need ferrule wax.

Regards

Alphahawk
04-10-2017, 09:01 PM

The problems of action...sensitivity....strength, were solved years ago with 2 piece rods...there are no trade offs....except a few grams of weight.

Regards

Adrian
04-11-2017, 01:45 AM
My Favorite Rig in my whole arsenal is as follows.

St. Croix 6'8" Mojo Bass Rod MJS68MXF.
Pflueger President 6930X
Sufix Castable Invisiline 100% Fluorocarbon Line, 12-lb. Item # 779786
Real Magic / KVD Line-lure spray

This setup is SUPER SENSITIVE. I mean SUPER SENSITIVE! When a fish looks at it from 20 yards away, I feel it. I have Abu Garcia Veritas, The whole line of Ducketts, Daiwa, Shimano, Ugly Sticks, you name it, but for my money, the
St. Croix in this price range is untouchable. When a fish bites your bait, you feel it all the way to your elbow :)

Good Luck!

JKTrevecca
04-11-2017, 07:47 AM
All this talk about "nice" rods makes me feel like I'm in the dark ages. I need to fish with one of ya'll that has a St. Croix (spelling?) rod and see what all the fuss is about. My fear is that it will mean I'm about to go spend a bunch of money I shouldn't!

I guess I'm just a redneck with my low dollar rod arsenal!

skillet
04-11-2017, 08:22 AM
All this talk about "nice" rods makes me feel like I'm in the dark ages. I need to fish with one of ya'll that has a St. Croix (spelling?) rod and see what all the fuss is about. My fear is that it will mean I'm about to go spend a bunch of money I shouldn't!

I guess I'm just a redneck with my low dollar rod arsenal!

Im with you!

XxthejuicexX
04-11-2017, 08:52 AM
I've made the switch to using mostly the Academy H20 rods. I still have some of the No. 8 blackouts that a really nice rods for the money. Tackle warehouse has them on clearance for around $50 right now. I've been impressed with the H20 series, very light and sensitive, almost carrot stix light, just with out the breakage :) it's hard to go wrong with the pflueger reels. You can get really nice rods and reels for that $100 price mark.

TNBronzeback
04-11-2017, 01:08 PM
I've made the switch to using mostly the Academy H20 rods. I still have some of the No. 8 blackouts that a really nice rods for the money. Tackle warehouse has them on clearance for around $50 right now. I've been impressed with the H20 series, very light and sensitive, almost carrot stix light, just with out the breakage :) it's hard to go wrong with the pflueger reels. You can get really nice rods and reels for that $100 price mark.
I second the H2O rods. Ive got one baitcaster and its great. Very light, good smooth bend, and sensitive. Eyeballing adding a second to the arsenal soon.

Adrian
04-11-2017, 02:06 PM
Seriously... The very first time you get even a sunfish nibble on the setup I described, you'll jump right in your truck and drive to Bass Pro!

jaycee
04-11-2017, 02:44 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170411/1d374ff4f2bad13f4ef2b324b69e8402.jpg

For what it worth....