PDA

View Full Version : Okaloosa Island fishing pier

Dakota
03-31-2017, 06:02 PM
Down in Destin for my girls cheer competition but of course had to grab a fishing rod. Went a little bit this afternoon, some Spanish mackerel being caught. I Caught a few which I've never done before only a 12 inch length limit. Used a lure called got-cha with a wire liter that the Guy selling bait their recommended. Always enjoy catching something I've never caught before. They fight like a skipjack.

FishAddict
03-31-2017, 09:18 PM
They can be fun to catch, and not bad on the plate, just trim off the red meat, and the extra row of bones that run from the spine out. Gotcha's work great for them. Note that that 12" is a fork length limit, not an overall length limit. A 12" fork length spanish is still pretty small.

spottedbass
04-01-2017, 07:07 AM
Swap that wire leader out with a 50 lb. mono leader and you will get more bites. Just check your leader often for chewed up spots.

Dakota
04-01-2017, 12:26 PM
Good point fellas. Yes I did learn that it is the fork of the tail. It's amazing if you ask the locals they know and most will tell you. Also I had a local guy fishing beside me with the heavy monofilament leader and he was getting a few more bites than me and Did re tie several times. Just fried up Spanish mackerel great tasting fish. My girls really really liked it. They said it was the best thing they've had since We've been down here. I think The limit is six, next time if I get into Them i would keep all six because the taste is so great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topwater1
04-01-2017, 05:09 PM
White buck tails jigs that some people call "looney jigs" (I think that's just where I fish though) and bubble rigs work well for Spanish. My favorite saltwater fish is catching flounder by slowly dragging a bull minnow on a Carolina rig on the bottom.

Buccaneer
04-01-2017, 06:55 PM
Good fish taco meat. Marinade in olive oil and McCormicks Fajita Seasoning, black iron skillet cook them, corn tortilla's and whatever you want for extras and condiments. They're pretty good smoked also.

FishAddict
04-01-2017, 09:13 PM
The limit is 15 not 6. I use 18 sevenstrand wire if I can get bites, when they are leader shy when the water is clear I will go to 40 mono. Cut the wire a little long and clip it as it gets roughed up. Figure 8 knot is all you need.

Dakota
04-02-2017, 10:56 AM
Oh yes 15 not sure why I put 6? Thanks for the ocean fishing tips everyone!

FishAddict
04-02-2017, 06:49 PM
You have early-stage Gulf Pier syndrome. Next will be the purchase of a king rod and reel. Then custom king rod, gaff, and pier cart. Vacations are planned avoiding full moons, neap tides, and second half of July/August. Final stage of the disorder consists of purchasing a condo or home at the beach. I'm about to be in the final stages. Sorry to be the one to break this to you....

spottedbass
04-03-2017, 07:04 AM
FishAddict - thanks for the heads up on the Gulf Pier syndrome but I think it is too late for me. I am now at stage three and dreaming of stage four everyday.

Have my reservations already set for Four Seasons in Orange Beach the second week of May. The next 6 weeks are going to go by SOOOOO slow.

Dakota
04-03-2017, 02:29 PM
Lol. I'm in the early stages just dreaming about owning a condo in the Destin area. 😀

Buccaneer
04-04-2017, 04:28 PM
I'll be on Miramar Beach in early June. Going to hammer some near shore salty creatures and spoil the hell out of the grandchildren.

SalmonDaze
04-05-2017, 12:07 PM
You have early-stage Gulf Pier syndrome. Next will be the purchase of a king rod and reel. Then custom king rod, gaff, and pier cart. Vacations are planned avoiding full moons, neap tides, and second half of July/August. Final stage of the disorder consists of purchasing a condo or home at the beach. I'm about to be in the final stages. Sorry to be the one to break this to you....

Dr. Addict,
Looks like you need to bone up on your disease epidemiology. The syndrome includes purchase of ocean-capable boat, long-range tow vehicle, and thousands of dollars "invested" in trolling gear long before the victim succumbs to the final stage.

Just 10 days before my sojourn to Fort Morgan and my next 5-day infusion.

:D

spottedbass
04-06-2017, 08:04 AM
SalmonDaze, give us a report back on your Fort Morgan trip. I have never fished out there but I have considered it several times when I was staying in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach.

SalmonDaze
04-06-2017, 09:56 AM
SalmonDaze, give us a report back on your Fort Morgan trip. I have never fished out there but I have considered it several times when I was staying in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach.

Will do Spot,
This is "round two" for us at Ft. Morgan. Couple pics attached from October 2015.

These were just the reds.

Also: flounder, little tunny, king mack, spanish. Would love to have run into cobia other pelagic; but no such luck. Lots of sharks, lady fish etc.

This trip was a result of the wife's comment in October . . . "let's go fishing in Alabama again in the spring."

Uh . . . honey; you got it!!! :D

I married a keeper!

We're not big on the Destin scene; generally, look to get away from the crowds; so Ft. Morgan fits our "speed." Also, no boat needed. The end of the peninsula is perfect for surf rods casting into the inlet.

FishAddict
04-07-2017, 09:10 PM
Salmon, I've done plenty of offshore, and offshore tournaments, but actually prefer to fish the piers. The pier thing can be quite fun and fishy, the degree of difficulty is higher than boat fishing. I also love Gulf Shores as well as the Panhandle piers too. It is probably where I will be getting a place in a few years.

spottedbass
04-08-2017, 02:52 PM
Salmon, I've done plenty of offshore, and offshore tournaments, but actually prefer to fish the piers. The pier thing can be quite fun and fishy, the degree of difficulty is higher than boat fishing. I also love Gulf Shores as well as the Panhandle piers too. It is probably where I will be getting a place in a few years.

Buy you one of the condos at Four Seasons and you will be set. You'll have your own pier.

SalmonDaze
04-10-2017, 07:09 AM

http://www.gulfshorespierfishing.com/forum.php

Just in case you didn't have the link.

FishAddict
04-16-2017, 09:02 PM
Yes, visit regularly. Just got back from a quick hit on PCB City pier. Pomps, spanish, and a few kings were caught.

Here are a few other sites/blogs you can check out:

http://okaloosaislandpier.blogspot.com/
http://www.baycountyoutdoors.com/Pier_Beach_Fishing.php
http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/

SalmonDaze
04-21-2017, 08:24 AM
Quick update: in two words: "TOUGH CONDITIONS."

SE winds gusting to 35mph each day kept us "inside" the bay and ICW. We did manage about 6 hours on the ocean side, but caught very few. Trolled the beach and half-way out to the rigs . . . zippo.

Caught trout up in the rivers of the bon secour reserve (high winds DID keep the bugs controlled).

The rest of the fishing was . . . feline. LOTS of cats.

I did talk to one neighbor who ran offshore 65 miles one night. They limited on Tuna, wahoo. Sounds like they had a riot.

Reports of reds on the Dixie Bar . . . We caught zero and saw zero action from other boats.