PDA

View Full Version : Center hill rock island report

Transplanted Sportsman
03-07-2017, 08:56 AM
I fished Sunday all day trying to catch some walleyes, the flow was just right, I arrived around 7 30 am, and put in the riverwhak at the state park ramp, only 2 other trucks there didn't seem like a good sign.
sure enough, the water was very stained from the Wednesday rain, visibility was about 8 inches, I marked fish but no takers at all, we tried minows, shiners, all kinds of plastics jigs, I did not see anybody catch a fish all day, except for some guys catching a musky, probably 8 boats out there, yet my 10 yo daughter and I had fun, that was until one of my sisters called me to let me know my grandfather had passed away, it was sad to hear this specially while on the water, yet we fished until sundown, back at the boat ramp a very nice gentleman fishing with his two sons gave us a 21 inch and fat walleye, he shared info and was very nice all around even invited me to fish in the near future, I don't know if the spawn is done due to warmer than normal winter or what, I looked at my log and seen that last year we caught fish there mid February so who knows, if I don't work Saturday and weathere cooperates I will give it one more try before moving on to try to find some fat crappies, good luck y'all and tight lines

Alphahawk
03-07-2017, 09:44 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss. Hope the weather is decent enough for you to get back out.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Transplanted Sportsman
03-08-2017, 03:32 AM
Thanks Mr Randy, he was 107 years old and one of the greatest man I have ever met, but he rest in peace now, hopefully the weather will hold for a least the first half saturday to give it on last try

TroutFiend
03-08-2017, 08:43 AM
My condolences on your lost. I have been to this area but never fished there, I think we actually swam around the sand bar area. As far as fishing do you motor up from the ramp to the falls and drift down dependent on water flow?

Andy

Transplanted Sportsman
03-08-2017, 10:04 AM
Thanks Andy, right now you can't motor up from the boat ramp at the state park, from rhere you drift down with the current and jig your way down river, at one point you move very slowly so you have to use your trolling motor but its all depending on flow being released by great Falls dam, keep in mind they may only show a certain amount tru the generators but they have additional water being released on top of the gates