PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Kayak On Priest

YETI-14
03-05-2017, 12:16 AM
Hello All,
I've viewed for a long time but never posted. I love the community vibe here. I'm trying to learn JPP now.? I just got a tandem yak and want to go out with my 11 y/o and looking for fish, lol. I would love to catch the famed priest early spring crappie and gills. Not asking for honey holes, just a few places for me and my boy to catch some fish and share comrade via kayak fishing. Help Wanted.

wormdunker
03-05-2017, 06:34 PM
I'm not a yakker, so I'm speaking out of school here but I would think that it might be fruitful to fish the upper end, like Stewart's Creek, East Fork, Fall Creek, Spring Creek, etc. I know there are Crappie there, and might be a good place to start to get the feel for a kayak too-not sure, maybe some of the kayak fishermen will chime in about this. Good luck to ya wherever you go!

YETI-14
03-05-2017, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'll check those out.

thewudd
03-06-2017, 09:11 AM
I have had success in my kayak fishing for crappie out of Vivrette Creek. I typically fish brush piles with minnow tipped jigs or just minnows. Out of Vivrette, if you follow the shoreline to the right, you will find several marked brush piles. I have caught a few fish there where people on the bank can't reach it.

Alphahawk
03-06-2017, 11:27 AM
I have had success in my kayak fishing for crappie out of Vivrette Creek. I typically fish brush piles with minnow tipped jigs or just minnows. Out of Vivrette, if you follow the shoreline to the right, you will find several marked brush piles. I have caught a few fish there where people on the bank can't reach it.

Back when I had kayaks my son and I fished out of Vivrette Creek and did quite well. It gets pounded pretty hard form the bank but still a good place to fish.

Regards

YETI-14
03-06-2017, 11:42 PM
I will check out Vivrette this week, pending mother nature cooperates. I plan on rigging a fishfinder on the yak to help me learn depths, structure, etc.

Im itching to run the caney with it, but lots of generation letely has kept me on the bank...
Im not comfortable running it with more than 1 generator going.

Thanks for the help!

white95v6
03-07-2017, 12:28 AM
I will check out Vivrette this week, pending mother nature cooperates. I plan on rigging a fishfinder on the yak to help me learn depths, structure, etc.

Im itching to run the caney with it, but lots of generation letely has kept me on the bank...
Im not comfortable running it with more than 1 generator going.

Thanks for the help!

If they don't have the sluice open. Just hang around and fish the pond

YETI-14
03-08-2017, 10:09 PM
Good point. With all the rain, it may be a while before the generation slows.

Scott715
03-19-2017, 10:38 PM
Rowing teams put in at Hamilton Creek (sailboat) Marina at the back of the cove. The pea gravel and parking made it ideal for me to put in there with my son. There's grass, the creek with underwater bridge, and flat rock back there too. I've caught plenty of gills and some nice largemouth back there. Even smallies. If you paddle out towards the lake the last cove on left before you exit no wake zone has fish marker with brush.

YETI-14
04-15-2017, 12:58 PM
It was a Good Friday indeed!
Thanks for the tips guys. My son and I went yakking yesterday and found the fish! We caught 5 different species of fish and had a blast!!! Here are a few pics:

crosshairy
04-15-2017, 09:44 PM
you guys did great for exploring a new spot! Congrats!!

Texas_Rig
04-16-2017, 03:28 AM
Love the color on those crappie

snowman
04-16-2017, 01:56 PM
It was a Good Friday indeed!
Thanks for the tips guys. My son and I went yakking yesterday and found the fish! We caught 5 different species of fish and had a blast!!! Here are a few pics:
What area did you end up hitting??