PDA

View Full Version : sauger 2-27-17

TNBronzeback
02-26-2017, 11:07 PM
Well, today marked the end of my 2017 winter sauger/walleye jigging and man oh man....let me tell you this!
IT STUNK! LOL.
My fish have moved on to the next stage of thier spawning ritual. I got ZERO today. Marked a ton of bait snagged some kind of long minnow. Marked a ton of fish, lots of surface activity as well.....maybe stripers???
I jigged, casted, trolled, cussed, spit.
Holes, ledges, rocks, timber, gravel, deep, shallow.
Like i always figured, the places i fish were just staging areas before thier final move. The flow was just trickling so that may have been a factor....but last time i was out i got into some white bass which told me its just about over for the saugers there.
No biggie....was a decent year for the few times i got out.
Next stop....JPP crappies!

Transplanted Sportsman
02-28-2017, 04:00 PM
Well, sorry to hear that TN, I will be going to center hill to try for walleyes on saturday if work allows, it may be a little later than i wanted, but work and family have come in the way of fishing, i will be fishing out of my small camoed Riverahawk so if any of you is over rock island saturday come and say hi

daniel
02-28-2017, 04:05 PM
Well, sorry to hear that TN, I will be going to center hill to try for walleyes on saturday if work allows, it may be a little later than i wanted, but work and family have come in the way of fishing, i will be fishing out of my small camoed Riverahawk so if any of you is over rock island saturday come and say hi
you may do well but the bite down here has slowed tremendously.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Transplanted Sportsman
02-28-2017, 06:15 PM
I was afraid of that Daniel, I normally take 3 consecutive weekends to fish for walleyes beginning midle of February, but this year things have gotten crazy with work and honey do's and caring for my girls on the weekends so I will make lemonade with what I got, the rain may mess up the water color too and also may be an increased flow form great Falls dam but if I don't go this weekend then I will not go, since crappie should start moving shallow enough to fish some spots from the bank at priest, Normandy should also start to heat up, man too many choices so little time!

TNBronzeback
02-28-2017, 07:47 PM
Might need to re-group for the night time dale walleye jekbait bite. Never been, dont know where, but guys have told me thats a great way to bring in post spawners.

Transplanted Sportsman
03-01-2017, 03:30 AM
Yes Sir, I have been on the verge to try that one too, Dave Clark posted a reply a few years back on how to do this in the crisp April nights, some nice fish can be caught this way