PDA

View Full Version : Boat Ramp confessions....

JeffsLowe
02-22-2017, 08:32 PM
The other thread running about the guy launching his kayak has reminded me about my OWN boat ramp goof ups....

About 4 years back was launching my brand new boat at Fate Sanders. Early spring - low water - wife was with me. Backed down - hit the brakes - boat shoots off the trailer and out into the bay. Oops.. Nothing else to do but to strip down to my underwear and swim for it. Got to boat - only then realized I am too old and sides are too high to heave myself over. Swim to back- fold down ladder - climb aboard. Went to fire it up - boat keys still back in the truck. Put down trolling motor - go back to ramp. Wife is laughing hilariously, while I scrupulously avoid eye contact with other boaters...

I think this 2 years ago- again early in the spring - launching at Bryants Grove. Ramp was busy - backed in - boat would not come off trailer no matter what. Full reverse- just churns up water and makes a lot of noise. Guy beside me says something has to be holding it. Nothing in front - look at back - oops straps still attached. Bend over and release one - then the other, and realize the boat was floating the trailer.... Up she pops- and so does my cellphone - right out of my shirt pocket and in the drink....

Just a few weeks ago - was launching the river jon at Rock Island (which must have been designed by drunk monkeys - so shallow everyone struggles with it and hates it). But I am so cool - I have a piece of heavy rope attached to the trailer - just back down - hit the brakes - boats pops off - then as I pull up the boat beaches itself right on the ramp. Locals are impressed - this guy knows how to beat that ramp. Make the trek back from parking the truck and notice the stern kinda low in the water...oops - mr veteran forget his plug.

Last fall - river jon again. Campground ramp below CH dam. No generation - hey no problem - this thing only draws a couple of inches...Back down - and down, and down, and down - trailer tires off the ramp and bouncing over the rocks- water never gets above trailer fenders... Well I guess fishing off the bank aint so bad after all...

TNBronzeback
02-22-2017, 08:57 PM
Good ones there!
when my wife and i first got our new boat 2 years ago....we launched at lagaurdo cause its close to the house. Break the motor in for while then head to the ramp.
I get the boat on the trailer and put the truck in drive....seconds late my wife is shouting and flailing her arms for me. I stop and holler back at her thinking "whats the friggin problem" apparently i still had the brand new motor ALL the way down and was just grinding on the ramp for about 30' till i stopped.

white95v6
02-22-2017, 10:01 PM
Good ones.....

I launch a 18ft bass boat below CH dam on no generation on the campground side no problems.

SAMBOLIE
02-23-2017, 06:22 AM
Good ones.....

I launch a 18ft bass boat below CH dam on no generation on the campground side no problems.

Do you go then up or down the river?

SalmonDaze
02-23-2017, 07:24 AM

https://m.popkey.co/05e616/R5oL_f-maxage-0.gif

Schleprock
02-23-2017, 08:39 AM
Hilarious :D

Thank goodness I have no stories of my own I do have one of a good friend a few years back

My buddy Darrin calls me at 10pm at night from a small lake in northern ky called Doe Run, he asks me if I can come help them, our friend Dan has slid back into the water after hooking up the boat , every time he tried to hit the gas he goes back farther to the point the water is to his chest and he is holding his foot on the brake, I was over an hour away so I told them they better call a tow truck, eventually the police and a tow truck show up and pull him out, they said it was just like the movies when they opened the door and water poured out , saddest part he was driving a 4WD and didn't think to use it lol

white95v6
02-23-2017, 10:52 AM

We go up and fish the pond

Alphahawk
02-23-2017, 05:32 PM
We go up and fish the pond

So you are telling me you can get an 18 foot bass boat from the ramp to the Pond on no generation. Have you done it this year yet?

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAMBOLIE
02-23-2017, 05:34 PM
So you are telling me you can get an 18 foot bass boat from the ramp to the Pond on no generation. Have you done it this year yet?

Regards

Maybe 5 minutes after the gen is shut down. :D

Pinwheeled
02-23-2017, 07:22 PM

Do you hop out and push it? I nearly drag bottom in a kayak where the pond first narrows down

white95v6
02-24-2017, 07:50 PM

Regards

Not this yr but many times over the last 4 yrs. Do not need any sluice gate flow ether.

white95v6
02-24-2017, 07:51 PM
Do you hop out and push it? I nearly drag bottom in a kayak where the pond first narrows down

We do not drag on the way to the pond.....It is boney though

TroutFiend
02-24-2017, 08:54 PM

Regards

There must be a path that I have overlooked in that particular area...

Alphahawk
02-24-2017, 09:13 PM
Not this yr but many times over the last 4 yrs. Do not need any sluice gate flow ether.

If you have done it you have done it. I have not tried it from over there. I have however scouted it out on one generator and with my sonar and di. I just can't see how to do it. While my boat does sit sort of low in the water it would not be as low as yours....I don't think. I am going to give it a better look next time up.

Regards

white95v6
02-25-2017, 07:28 AM
We normally like to have at least the 250cfs sluice. Once we showed up one day to fish. They had not generated in 6hrs and no sluice. We forgot to check for it. Thought what the heck we are here let's try it. We did and made it.

Mike Mofield
02-25-2017, 11:59 PM
I tried to load my Stratos on the trailer with the trolling motor still down in the water. You ask how did that turn out ? NOT TOO GOOD!! Snapped the shaft on the trolling motor that was supposed to be unbreakable..

Texas_Rig
02-26-2017, 06:38 AM
I tried to load my Stratos on the trailer with the trolling motor still down in the water. You ask how did that turn out ? NOT TOO GOOD!! Snapped the shaft on the trolling motor that was supposed to be unbreakable..

So far you win. 😜

Wyatt
02-26-2017, 08:05 PM
Just last weekend i had taken my boat to OHL to break out the ultralight equipment. Went through my checklist and launched solo. Somehow the spring on the hook of the winch strap was on the OUTSIDE of the hook so as i backed her down, she floated away. Luckily there was a gentleman about to load up and asked if i needed a lift. Thank goodness i didnt have to swim that day. I dont wear no skivvies. Lol

gmedlin
03-01-2017, 03:48 AM
Fishing PP last summer out of Stewarts Creek, came back to take out about mid day and the ramp was still busy with summer folks. Got in my truck backed down the ramp and opened the door to go get the boat from the dock and I could not get out of the truck. I was stuck to the seat of the truck.

What had happened was I had left a lure sitting on the seat in the boat, it had attached itself to my shorts which in turn had attached my shorts to the truck seat. I was really stuck and people were lined up waiting for the ramp. I had to close the door and try to shimmy out of my shorts (I'll go about 275 lbs) while everyone is watching thinking what is that crazy old man doing taking off his clothes. I finally got them off and cut the lure from my truck seat and shorts.

What an embarrassment.

tkwalker
03-01-2017, 09:41 AM
Fishing PP last summer out of Stewarts Creek, came back to take out about mid day and the ramp was still busy with summer folks. Got in my truck backed down the ramp and opened the door to go get the boat from the dock and I could not get out of the truck. I was stuck to the seat of the truck.

What had happened was I had left a lure sitting on the seat in the boat, it had attached itself to my shorts which in turn had attached my shorts to the truck seat. I was really stuck and people were lined up waiting for the ramp. I had to close the door and try to shimmy out of my shorts (I'll go about 275 lbs) while everyone is watching thinking what is that crazy old man doing taking off his clothes. I finally got them off and cut the lure from my truck seat and shorts.

What an embarrassment.

So Far you WIN ! <'TK><:):eek:

Texas_Rig
03-01-2017, 05:07 PM
Mike, your off the hook. Gmedin in the lead